Monday, September 28, 2020

P&C License Exam -- We Will See If I Pass

 Tomorrow is D-day folks. Will she pass the P&C (Property and Casualty) License exam for becoming an Oklahoma Licensed Producer?  I've been P&C licensed before, but that is NO guarantee that I'll pass the exam again. I should never have let the license lapse, but you say to yourself, "I won't need that in the future, I'm doing something else", then you find yourself studying 15,000+ details about commercial and personal property and liability in order to pass a 150 question exam. (Note: after you do pass the exam you only actually use about 1500 of those details, it's a bit overwhelming.) P&C covers autos, homes, boats, planes, commercial, business, personal, liability, umbrella, loss, cause of loss, forms, and of course special forms.

Here's a sample question: "Which vehicle would most likely have inland marine motor truck cargo insurance? Answers to choose from: (a) ambulance (b) truck owned by a delivery service company (c) motor coach (d) fishing boat.  So, since the key word (you always want to find the key word) is "cargo" the answer could be either a, b, or c right? A fishing boat doesn't ordinarily carry cargo.  Does a body or a person riding in an ambulance quality as "cargo", no, it does not. What about a motor coach? They carry people to and from places - - but as with the ambulance, people are not cargo. By default the answer is (b) a delivery truck. Simple right?  Let's do another one.

"If an employer purchases a Fidelity Bond to protect against potential losses by an employee's dishonest act, each employee would be considered: (a) a fiduciary (b) guarantor (c) principal (d) obligee? "  Since the employer is the one purchasing the bond he/she would be the one paying for the bond, so not the principal.  The employees couldn't be fiduciaries as they don't really have any actual duty or responsibly NOT to steal from the boss, right? They weren't ordered not to, they are just expected not to. They can't be the obligee as they aren't paying for the bond, so the employees must by elimination be the principal(s). Will you (or I) ever really need to know this? Probably not. I may or may not ever actually sell a bond since the company I work for doesn't post bonds, but it's something I have to know for the next 15 hours before taking this test. After which I can forget it again, and hope I don't make the same mistakes I did in the past by letting my P&C license lapse. Silly, silly, silly!

Basically the plan is to get the licenses, work and establish my selling power to the company over the next few months to ensure my worth before proposing that they sponsor me in opening an office in Edinburgh, Scotland. If I can't get them to play ball there are many other companies who may be interested. The good news is, my boss has already stated that he is open to the suggestion he just wants to see how serious I am about it, and what the benefits could be both to him and to the company as a whole. If we open one we could open a few. If we open a few we could open a lot. It's a starting point, a long shot, a pipe dream perhaps, but again if they say no someone else will say yes. He knows this, and he knows I'm willing to take the risks and make it happen.

For now I'm just going to go work out, walk on the elliptical, ride the recumbent, row the rower, stretch, lift, power my way through pain and agony long enough to distract my brain from all the formidable yet needless mass of information now swirling in my skull's gooey tenant. Surely I can muster up a 70% tomorrow -- if not, I take it again until I do pass. I just hate losing. I'm the worst loser out there. If I can't win I usually don't play. Tests are another matter.  You can't get out of what is required. PRAYER helps.



No comments: