Friday, September 25, 2020

BLM Doesn't Always Mean What You Think!

 When someone says "BLM" to me my mind does not go to Black Lives Matter. My mind, because it's my mind, has always (and will always) think of the Bureau of Land Management. I say it's the "original" BLM, but I'm not 100% sure about that. What I do know is I will follow that BLM to the end of the planet and back. I will do just about anything they could ask of me. I volunteer for them now, working my networking magic to help as many people as I can adopt from them. BLM, the Bureau of Land Management in Pauls Valley, Oklahoma, is one place I could spend days on end at and never once grow tired of the sights, the smells, the thundering vibrating energy, and of course, the stunning faces I would see every day. Faces like that of Norman.

It was the 2nd Tuesday of October 2016, I had taken off work to go to Pauls Valley, Oklahoma to do what I did (and sometimes still do) every 2nd Tuesday of most months. I go to the adoption event hosted by the BLM in one of south central Oklahoma's bigger smaller towns. Pauls Valley has been a host to Oklahoma's feral Mustangs for several years. I've been volunteering there since I returned to Oklahoma from Indiana in the fall of 2015, so this would have been about my 7th or 8th time to drive the 80 miles to watch the adoption process; this time my daughter Laura was planning on picking out a horse for herself to train and possible keep or flip.  I wasn't going for myself, but you just never know what can happen when eyes meet over an over crowded corral.  Hearts quickly find one another. Life changes on a dime.

Among the throngs of younger horses in corrals lining the west gates I found myself leaning against the rails of the pipe fencing separating the 2-4 year old geldings from the 5 years and older geldings; a group most people avoid as the older a feral horse is some say the harder he (gelding) is to train. A mare is often stubborn to the point of being untrainable, but usually they're good up into years 8-12 to be honest.  Feral Mustang geldings (and definitely studs) typically refuse to be trained after about the age of 6 really, anything older than that and you'll have to really put in the time if you want to create the bond needed to fully train one.  I stood on the outside of the pipeline fence and just behind me stood the full figured body of a 1200 pound bay gelding, much larger than most. Aged 6 years, standing at 15.3 hands (63 inches) this guy was a sight for sure.  Before I knew it he had his head completely resting on top of my shoulder over the top of the fence, and he was literally snorting into my left ear. It sounded a lot like "Hey, I know you don't really know me, but I would really like to get out of this place and maybe, I don't know, go home with you." (If you don't believe me you can ask him for yourself. That is exactly what it sounded like to me.)

The BLM will sell you a Mustang straight out, adopt one to you, or let you bid on one and win at the adoption auctions.  They even have an incentive program that literally gives you $1000 ($500 in 60 days and $500 after 1 year) just for keeping your Mustang, and hopefully training it during the year you have it before it's titled.  If you buy one outright you get the title then, but not the $1000 incentive money. I adopted Norman for $125 (which is actually $100 more than it is now. You can literally pick up a full sized untouched feral horse for $25.00 USD) which is what it cost in 2016.  Norman was mine. 

I didn't take Norman home with me that day however, he went to stay with a man named Tim Brock, a trainer in Missouri.  After 8 weeks of training Tim brought Norman back to me, and we began our story, but a short and sad story it turned out to be.  I was unable to keep Norman due to a situation at the school I worked at, and I was terminated following the 2016 Presidential Election. I voted for Trump, my employers were NOT pleased, and though they said I was released for another reason, we both knew the truth. Eventually, after the holidays and such, I was able to find work, but sadly in January I had to find a new home for Norman. Of course, it wasn't hard to do, look at him!  I know it sounds crazy, but I will try to find a way to bring Norman back into my life. If there was EVER a horse that got away, he is that horse. Today he is being loved and used as a trail horse in and around the same area where I adopted him. If I don't have him again on Earth, I've asked God to bring him back to me in Heaven. Norman is MY horse. We are only separated by time and space right now. That will change.

Born in captivity as his mother was pregnant when she was captured, Tim Brock said Norman was easier to train than most horses he's ever worked with.  You just can't understand the loss I feel in my heart when I see him in photos being ridden by people I don't know - - something in me rages, but then God settles me and reminds me that ALL THINGS work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called to His purpose, ALL THINGS.  This too will work its way to being good. Maybe I was just supposed to be the one to free Norman; maybe he was supposed to be the one to free me. Eternity is a long long time. I can wait.








No comments: