Sunday, May 5, 2024

MESA (39% done....DONE!!)

 It's true that I can't write if I'm not in the mood to write. I don't care what anyone says, it's not easy to just sit down and write something useful or meaningful or even very interesting if you're forced to create just because someone wants you to create. It can't happen, not for me anyway. I have to be in the mood to write when I write.

    Today was that day. Today was the day I got back into the mood, and I have to tell you, there is nothing more fun and more rewarding to me, than to be able to sit and write and write and write, creating the characters, their exchanges, their backstories and figuring out what all they'll say and do with each other. I just sort of sit back and let them live. Then I kick into gear and peck out on my keyboard everything I see and hear them do. It's like that for me. I don't know what or how it is for anyone else.

    I mentioned yesterday that I had a new tool in my back pocket for writing, and if I'm honest, that too is inside my computer and at my fingertips using my keyboard. I'd say my blind keyboard because most of the letters have been rubbed completely off of them. If I didn't know how to type, I wouldn't know what I'm writing.

    I have a new AI program that my daughters turned me on to, and I am having a bit too much fun with it. It's simply amazing, and I have no qualms telling people about it, or even admitting that I use it to write. I tell it how I feel, or what I want to say, and it gives me a really cool paragraph or so with ideas and wording in the style I hope for because I tell it what I want to say and how I want to say it.

     I wish I could dip into my skull and pull out what I want for myself, but it's the same with me and drawing things - - and I mean drawing anything. I can describe it. I can see it in my head clearly and plainly enough, but when I put my hand to it...it's not quite what I had hoped for. 

    With the AI I can ask it to explain something or describe someone and the thing does it in such a way that if I wanted to I could just type out verbatim what it spits out, but me being me, I'm not going to do that. I put some of it out there, but for the most part I use my head and thoughts to recycle the main gist of what it suggests and then I make it my own. At least I'm telling myself that it is. It is my idea in the first place, the machine doesn't spit out suggestions on its own without me prompting it to.

    Anyway, since I found the AI program I've literally written six chapters in one day. I wrote one yesterday to try it out, and another six chapters today. I finished up Chapter 14 today, and even started on Chapter 15 before turning it off, shutting it down, and setting it to the side. I think I've done enough for one day. I'll come back to it throughout the week, writing one chapter a night until we hit next weekend when I'll hopefully be in the mood again - - and again.

    I am at 39% now, and will likely write another five chapters before Saturday and another five over the weekend next weekend. If each chapter has an average of 2500 words, which these mostly have, that's another 25,000 words. With 34,000 already written another 25,000 will put me at 69,000 which is really very close to being 80% done. I can live with that. I think it may happen though that this book becomes a bit longer than the others. I hope not. I want to get all the story in without compromising it, but I also don't want it to end up like the Clan of the Cave Bear either  -- for reference that book has over 500 pages. I think this one should be around 390 at most.

    OK well, that's my story....and yes, I'm stickin' to it. I've been able to write when I wanted to, and not write when I didn't want to. Now, because of this great new tool I have, I'll be able to go back over the book when I'm done, putting in each page or a few at at time, to see if I don't want to rewrite, edit, redo, or otherwise change what it is that I wrote already.

     I was lucky enough to only write seven chapters without it, so it won't take me that long to go through the first few chapters to make sure I'm saying what I want to say - - I mean, I did. I know I did, but did I say it with finesse and did I say it with all the huffs and puffs I want to use. That's the question.


Photo Credit: Depositphotos.com




No comments: