Sunday, May 5, 2024

Finding Mia's Mommy.

 This weekend I was walking Ginger around the complex when one of my new neighbors stopped me and asked me if I knew anyone who owned a medium-sized fluffy white dog. It, or she was a girly girl, and completely white. From the way he described her, she sounded a lot like a Poodle or maybe a Bichon. We don't have anyone in our complex who owns a Poodle, I told him, but there is a younger woman in an apartment on our side even, and she owns a good-sized Bichon-type dog, but I knew that dog to be a male dog.

    Well, again, later that day, when I was walking Ginger again, we ran into the neighbor and he not only had his own dog with him, but he had the little run away with him as well. He had placed a collar and lead on her, so he would be able to walk her. After only a few short minutes, it was known to all of us that the dog had not been trained to walk on the lead, and she was quite possibly rather young, having not been trained to do more than just be a really cute sweet puppy.

    She was in fact solid white, and with her floppy thick coat she did resemble something between a Poodle and a Bichon in fact.  We thought perhaps she was a mix breed, which in my opinion is always better in the first place. George is the only full-blooded dog I think I've ever owned, him being a registered Dachshund who had been rescued from a puppy mill; he was a stud. Believe me when I say you can take nutter-butters off the dog, but once a stud, the poor thing couldn't stop himself most of the time. He lived a very "happy" life".

    This new puppy, the little white dog, also sported a rather unusual pink nose; it was literally almost pure pink, but had a tinge of brown mixed in for good measure. I asked my neighbor if he had taken her to the vet to see if she had a chip, he had not. I asked him if he had looked online to see if she had been reported to one of the local lost and found sites, and he had not done that either. Just to be fair, my neighbor is about 70  years old, and he really doesn't play that much online. He knew there were such websites, but navigating to one was not going to happen. I volunteered to assist.

    Literally within a few minutes we located the dog's rightful and dutiful owner! She had posted photos of the dog, asking anyone to let her know if they had found her. When I called her she answered the phone and asked me specific questions about her missing pet. Apparently, others had called her and asked for a reward claiming they had her dog and would give her up if she sent money to them through PayPal. What jerks! When I answered her questions she seemed incredibly happy, but informed me that her six-year-old daughter would be even more excited to find their "Mia".  

    "Mia!" I said, "That's a perfect name for her, she's missing in action!!" The woman laughed, and took the number of my friend and neighbor who had the little rascal in his home. I assured the owners that Mia couldn't have found a better rescuer. She was safe, well fed, bathed and loved. She had spent the night in bed with good people and other animals. She had been spoiled from the second he found her. 

    It was really wonderful to be a part of helping and I know God was in the middle of it. I had been blessed to be asked to help, and  now when any of us finds another dog, we'll all know exactly what to do -- tell Jude! Jude will look it up online, and search every single site she can. It's what I do. It's what we all should do. Puppies deserve to be loved, not harmed, especially the wayward ones.

    It turns out that Mia's mommy and her little girl had moved to the apartments about two city blocks from our complex, and she had gotten out of her collar when the little girl was walking her. That will be fixed, and they'll be the first to be called if we happen to see the sweet pink-nosed doggie again in our area. We may even ask her if we can spoil her a minute or two before she comes over to claim her again. 

Photo Credit: www.dogtime.com  (Mia looked like this only with a pink nose.) 

No comments: