Friday, June 30, 2023

MURDER BOOK: I Just Killed a Man (in the book...in the damn book)

     Whenever I make bold statements in writing such as "I just killed a man" I feel as if I need to further clarify that I am a novel (fiction) writer and that killing people is something I do quite often. I never take my actual hostilities out in the real world. I promise. I'm truly one of the most law-abiding souls you'll find. I will however, if you piss me off, send you flying over the side of a cliff and then have some random stray dog piss in your face allowing the scratches and the bug bites to be naturally disinfected...in writing. In the pages of a book that may or may not be published.

    I am going to take a breather and eat dinner before returning to the book. I'm really so close to finishing it that I think it would be best to get back into the grove this evening and do that. I am at 74,000 words and I think the book will be around 80,000 so yeah, I'm there. I will also go back through it and take things out that don't need to be there. I will add stuff, fluff stuff, mix in about 3,899 more adjectives and if that's not enough, I'll find a way to make it really pop using more. I love a good adjective. I really should have considered using more than just the word "good" to describe that fact. Oh, well.

   I just pulled the trigger in the truest of ways possible in the book, not in real life, and ended the life of an amazing soul. He was in fact, one of my favorite characters and the purpose of letting him go see Jesus was because if I loved him the chances are that my readers will love him too; they'll be so very very upset with the bad guy that they will find themselves standing on the edge of their seats, not sitting on them, so they can assist in the capture of the bastard!  How could that guy die? NOOOOOOOOO...but he did.

    I'm over here crying because I have to arrange a funeral now. Actually, I'll probably end up glazing over it, and mentioning it, but not actually staging one. I only have about 6000 more words to go, and if I use them up talking about the different lives the man touched, or the cases he worked, I'll likely be there for two chapters and have to ditch the Scott Monument scene - - who would want to do that? Well, as it stands, it is now just after Christmas in 1929, all is not well in the City of Edinburgh, but they are making headway on these murders and they do have a few suspects and bad guys in custody. It may be time to plan Hogmanay!!

    Oh, look at the time. I have to run. I'm about to dine well with the kid and then get back to the grind. On a VERY VERY good note, and I'll blog about this tomorrow, I am happy to say that "Of Kilted Pleasure" has been corrected and is back up for sale. I ordered two today.  Woot!!  I made 10 corrections. It did cost me $25, but so very worth it. YEA.

See you soon! Next time I'll be able to tell you that the book is fully written and ready to be tweaked.  


Photo Credit:Four Guests, USA.

No comments: