Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Silly Decisions Some Make

 Without going into so much detail about the in's and out's of independent claims adjusters, how they work, what they do, what they can expect to be paid for doing it, and so forth, I will say that I come across those who just don't understand the game -- but they are the EMPLOYERS; they should know better.

    Independent Claims Adjusters are just that; we are claims adjusters who have for reasons of our own, decided to be independent rather than captive. Captive can be good if it pays well, the hours are good, and the employer isn't hanging over your shoulder to be sure you're actually working.  The truth of the matter is, most adjusters are either remote or field, not in-house or staff, and they work - - ready for it? INDEPENDENTLY...on their own. They don't need someone reminding them what it is they are supposed to be doing.

    That being said, no one is first an independent without first being trained. How do you get properly trained if everyone wants you to have experience before you start? Good (no, great) question. Here's the answer; there are literally dozens of companies who will hire people fresh out of the gate but usually during CAT or catastrophic events such as big storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, wind and hail, etc. Once they hire someone who doesn't have the experience another company would prefer, the hiring company uses these folks as the undercoat for their experienced adjusters. It's a harder harsh way of being trained perhaps because the hours are extreme, but the fact is, people will and do hire inexperienced people, train them, and then either release them due to lack of work, or the person themselves will leave and find a company paying a steady-eddy salary with less hours and less micromanagement - - until the next CAT season!

    See, with CAT seasons, a person can make upwards of $34 an hour, to begin with and then another time and a half after the first 40 hours. Most CAT employees (at least the adjusters) work 72-84 hours a week. The money begins to stack up rather quickly. Do the steady-eddy captive sorts really, in their WILDEST dreams, think that an independent will remain captive when CAT comes? Not going to happen, unless they can negotiate a better salary, more time off, etc. You've got TPA or third-party admins now offering 15-18 days of Paid Time Off, holiday pay, etc, but they still pay about $50-55K a year; which won't touch what 1099 independent can make. There are independents, and many of them, clearing over $200K a year. Who in their right mind would think that person will remain with them as a captive? 

    I just had an interview, not 15 minutes ago, with a captive company wanting to pay me $55K and they had the withal to explain to me that they really needed someone with more actual experience. Well, OK. I agreed. They probably do NEED and WANT that, but it comes at a hefty price tag. The person they'll find and put into that slot will be someone who lied about their experience on their resume so they can be hired. When they get the job they'll claim they were trained a completely different way, but hey, they're willing to be trained the company way...of course, they are; they have NO experience.   When they get it, say in 6-8 months, they'll leave and work for the first CAT opportunity that comes along or they'll choose to find a company that pays more for the 8 months experience they have. Simple facts.

    Anyway, I was cordial. I was kind. I asked specifically what they were looking for, and they told me, and I explained I wasn't qualified at this time. I did however, take the opportunity to briefly explain why it is that they will likely find someone who lied, train them, pour money, time, and effort as well as hope and trust into that person, only to have them leave even as soon as September when CAT season is in full swing. Or, I explained, they can hire me, and I'll stay. I don't need as much as others want and/or think they need. I was raised by a woman who felt that ethics and loyalty were valued measurements of a person's character. We'll see what they choose. I'm 99% sure they'll fall flat, but hey, I did try to warn them.

    If you don't know about CAT seasons and independent adjusters, you may want to check it out. I'm currently licensed in 5 states, and about to get another one soon. I may not have it all yet, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I'll be hired as soon as the first real CAT hits - - so why would I want to jump ship then and go back to work for the people who (a) didn't have the insight to hire me in the first place (b) wanted to treat me as if I had little to no experience (c) would only give me $55K a year (albeit the bennies are good)?  The answer? I don't need a lot of money, I prefer 8a-5p work, M-F, and I want to say I have a job, this is what I do. I could use the extra hours to write books!  

    Some people are silly, I suppose. They'll learn. It really is  ONLY a matter of time.


Photo Credit: NOAA

No comments: