Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Home Owners Associations...My POV

 Everyone has their own point of view about this or that, and I am no different. I have a very distinct opinion on homeowner associations because I've been on both sides of that issue. I've owned a home in one, and I've owned homes that are not in them. Let me just say, I prefer them. It's a matter of neatness, not necessarily uniformity. Can they go too far? Yes, absolutely, and that's when the homeowners form an alliance to either sue the HOA to force them to change or move and find one that better suits their needs.

    I understand that not everyone can adjust to the often stringent requirements set out by some of the HOAs that exist. To be honest, there are some that step way over the proverbial lines, and they do impose their way onto the people who spent their personal hard-earned cash on a home that happens to be inside that particular HOA. BUT..and this is a  HUGE one; the homeowner, or would-be owner, knew the rules before deciding to live in that HOA. I don't ever remember hearing of an HOA that cropped up after a neighborhood was established. I could be wrong.

    The most annoying rule that I ever ran across was that no flag could be flown on or around the outside of the house, and that included the American flag. We got away with it by forcing them to recognize the First Amendment, but it wasn't easy to do. Their reasoning was to keep down banners for rivaling teams, states, and countries, and to not cause an issue. I understand that, but no one will ever tell me I can't fly Old Glory. That won't happen. They allowed it as long as it was attached to the house or gate and was no bigger than 15" or something like that. I'm OK with a compromise. I kept my OU flag inside the house and hung my "Blue Star Mom" flag in a window.

    Most of the time, HOAs are there to keep the lawns straightened, cut, and cleaned. They are not there to lord over people, or to make them feel uncomfortable. Often times the units will have a similar look, so they want to maintain that for aesthetics as well as for maintaining the valuation of a home. Property values will decrease if a wayward neighbor has painted their garage a bright pink and their house trim a mustard yellow; or if they have 6 cars in the drive, two that are jacked up on concrete blocks, uncut grass, and vines that look like the Amazon rainforest in their front and back yards. Face it, when someone next door to you has a broken panel in their window, a few slats of wood missing from their fence, and plays their music 24/7 from a loud boom box, it's good to know there are rules and guidelines you could have imposed if you were in an HOA.

    Another reason, and perhaps the #1 reason I like living in an HOA is the fact that my fees literally pay for the insurance of my home from the studs out to the air. All contents and even the drywall are my responsibility, and they do have insurance for condos for that reason, but they have to pay for any hail, wind, fire, water, or vandalism damage that takes place outside the house and the roof. That alone is usually 70% of the fee. The rest (in most cases) pay for things like water, sewer, garbage pick up, and lawn maintenance. If there is a pool it pays for that. If there is security patrol or cameras being monitored, it pays for that. I'm good.

    If I had to pay $2100 a year for insurance but could save 70% that's a $14,700 savings, and the rest is about what I would end up paying for renters or condo insurance. Now, why would I say I save 70% of the $2100 if I pay the HOA fee? Why not the whole thing? Because it's only from the studs out - - I'm still responsible for the contents, the drywall, any specialty tile, carpet, etc.  I may have to pay $600 a year for that. My water/sewer bill would have been $60, my garbage would have been about the same, and to have someone maintain the lawns, pool, security, and cameras for that little money...yeah, I'm good. I know I've said that, but I am...I am OK with paying $220-250 a month knowing my exterior insurance is paid, my lawn will be cut, my house is watched, my water and garbage are paid, and I have a nice pool to use in the summer.

    Some HOAs do not have pools, security, or cameras, and some don't pay for water. You'll need to know your association to see what they cover.  If it's too much, don't live there. If they raise it, it's likely because it happens...inflation happens. Why people continue to complain about inflation is beyond me. We're not going to change it, it is going to happen. We need to just move forward; if at all possible. I know it's a hassle, it's terrible, but it really is JUST a first-world issue, and thank God, you live in the first-world right now. It could be so much worse. Look, I'm writing about the woes and cons of homeowner associations, not about bombs, insurgency, or war. There's a reason we are called blessed.

    Since I'm being so kind and sweet to the HOAs, I'll go ahead and talk a bit about the two times (besides the flag thing) that I had to complain about and felt that I had a right to do so.  When I moved into a condo as a renter, not a buyer, I was told I could have my two dogs and my two cats. The owner of the unit paid the fees and he never mentioned my animals to the HOA. I got a letter asking me to find homes for two of my pets, and I declined to do so. They fined the owner, and then he asked me to do the same, and I told him no. I had them when I went under lease. I was not renewed for the lease, as you can imagine, but it was a problem. I wouldn't have moved there in the first place if I had been told the rules. 

    The 2nd time was when my son had returned from Iraq and needed to blow off a lot of steam!  He had a big tractor tire that he bought and then brought to my place because it had a bit of a slope leading up from the road to my driveway. He and his Army buddy were rolling and flipping the tire over and over and we were reported to the HOA by a nosy neighbor.  I asked my son to put on his uniform, (not the fancy one) and when he did, NO ONE COMPLAINED...well, he complained, because it was really hot.  After the third time of wearing his camo, he took them off and went back to his shorts and tank.  Again, no one complained, in fact, several neighbors came by to either thank him or to watch him.

    HOAs are not the big bad wolf or the Lords that some think they are. They are there to keep peace, regulate, and be sure that nothing gets too far out of hand. If we had been asked to stop rolling the tire, we would have stopped. On that particular HOA, we were located (or situated) on the 10th hole of a great golf course in Indiana. We were not allowed to walk the golf course unless we were members, but we did anyway. I think we were reported twice; nothing happened. They just asked us to not make noise, not to approach golfers, that sort of thing. We adhered. It's not as if we were banned, fined, or cast out.  Most of these places have reason; they use reason. 

    All this being said, I am sure there are some horror stories out there about HOAs and how they completely restrict you from doing what you want to do. This is Halloween and one of the HOA rules in a neighboring association, not ours, is that kids from the association can trick-or-treat, but not others. They literally pass out passes to wear on their costumes. That's a bit too much, I would have to have something to say about something like that, but the underlying reasoning is valid. It is a more uppity posh hood and they don't want it to be trashed. During the Pandemic they even shut the gates and had a sign that read "No Trick-or-Treating is to be done in the HOA due to health reasons". (That was 2022!! A year after 90% of the lifts.)

    There you have it, my opinion. I would rather be in an HOA that was respectful and flexible than to be in one that is not, or to not be in one. It just makes sense to me. Whether or not it makes sense to you is a you-thing. You decide. Have a bright and cheery experience or go home...well, you know, move your home. 

Photo Credit: SimpleShowing.com

    

    

No comments: