Saturday, January 16, 2021

Closet Christian. (I am one)

 Do NOT ask me to come out of my closet as a Christian, because I'm INSIDE my closet because I'm praying! When I say be a closet Christian, I really really mean it, I want you to be on your bum in the middle of your closet (I use a chair to sit on actually, which was a talk starter for my friend when she came over to help me clear out my closet of old clothes to donate.) BE IN THE CLOSET and on your knees if you feel more comfortable in that position, but however you may be seated, be in prayer! That's the place to do it, and there is scripture to back me up on this one too just so you know. If you don't have a closet to get into it's OK...God's OK if you go to the bathroom too. Just remember to close the door.

Matthew's account of the Gospel tells us in Chapter 6, verse 6 to go into the closet to pray, and when you go into the closet you are to shut the door. There must be a reason for that direction - - I looked it up further and the reason(s) seem to stem from Greek and Hebrew words that correlate to the word "close". The King James says this:  

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Remember the other verses about praying in secret? There's the old tale in the Bible how the proud man stood in front of the window to pray every day so others would think he was pious and doing God's will, but the humbled man, who was ashamed of his personal sin, hid from the view of others, could hardly speak to God, and in fact, he beat himself in anguish because of his sin. That man's prayer was heard, not the prayer of the really proud man -- he received his "reward" having been seen by his peers as being a doer in the word. Aren't many Christians like that today? I mean, c'mon, we all want to be seen doing the right thing, wearing the right clothes, hanging with the right people, and you know -- being RIGHT!  God has another word for it - - it's not pious and it's not righteous when we do that, it's self-serving, it's pride, and it's sin!  Get yourself in that closet and close that door. If someone's looking for you just tell them you're going to pray a minute and ask them to leave you alone for a while; it's OK if they know what you're doing, they don't need to know what you're saying to God; that part is sacred and between the two of you only.

How do you start a prayer in a closet? How do you know God is there listening to you? Well, for me, I just start out being quiet and listening to my heart. Sometimes I know exactly what I'm about to say or ask, and other times I just feel the need to be there in that darker space, maybe with a cat or a dog, maybe just me and the hanging clothes and linens all around me. I start out with the simple things - - I thank God for being God. I thank God for being with me. I thank Him for His Son. I thank Him for my Guardian Angel Sam, (whose real name is Theonaphilus) and I think of a million things I could be without if it wasn't for God - - after that I start my confessions, telling God what I remember and what I hope to repent of, to give up, to try and better, to make amends, and then I go into the part where I need His help and I really would appreciate some direction in this or that matter. The Bible tells us if we ask for wisdom He will supply it in great amounts - - BE CAREFUL. Do not ask for patience....He gives that in great amounts too; and it's usually by putting you through the wringer so you'll rely on Him for literally everything - - if you want patience, you may want to ask for a BIT of patience, as God is truly in the business of absolutely providing your desires and needs.

One more thing before I go: God doesn't lie.  God can't lie. It's impossible for God to deceive, and it's 100% guaranteed, assured, and already set in every stone possible, that God will do exactly what He said He will do.  That being said, if you read Psalms 37:4 you'll find that God promises (covenants) you that if you delight in Him HE will give YOU the desires of your heart. He made a promise - - He will keep it. If you do your part, He does His part - - EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Be joyful, choose to delight in Him even if you think it's hopeless because you have that covenant and you can take that to your Heavenly Bank of Guarantees with Jesus. He will provide, He will answer, He will give you what you desire - - when you delight in HIM, not in yourself.

Back to the closet for one minute - - before you finish, before you open that door and walk out, be sure and leave your prayer right where you sat. God will keep it. You don't need to drag it around with you. He has it - - it's safe. KNOW that your prayers were heard, and are being answered. Sometimes God answers NO. Sometimes God answers YES.  Most of the time God will say "Wait"....and you should. Don't argue, don't get upset, don't wonder if it's a waste of time to go back into that closet and talk about it again; it isn't. God's will and His timing is perfect - - breathe!  Say Amen, open the door, and go about your day -- closets aren't gathering places, they are meant to be private for a reason. You've got this.




No comments: