Wednesday, April 24, 2024

MESA (FOUR!!)

 Before you think I'm too ignorant, I do realize that people who yell out "fore" are not yelling "four". It's a golf thing...I know. I have finished Chapter Four of "Mesa" and I just thought I'd yell a little and let the world know. This book is taking a bit to write, and I'm not really even sure why that is.

    I think once I get into the meat of it I'll be OK, but right now I'm in the awkward setting up the details of the stories and I'm chomping at the bit a little to get to the nitty-gritty. I can't get to the nitty-gritty yet though, I have to set it up really nicely and well before the characters can take off on their own. It's a must. I don't mind, but it is tedious.

    I wrote out the chapters one by one and what I think will happen in each, but as usual I am adding a lot more to each chapter, and though my keyboard says I'm on Chapter Four, I'm only partially through Chapter Two of my would-be skeleton for the outline. Yep...this could end up being a 50 chapter book! LOL.

    Actually, I can't make the book any wider than the others because I have a whole consistency thing going and I want to keep it that way. Each book being the same size means I know what they will cost to be printed. I pay $6.42 per book when I order them. If I ever get really mega rich I can order 100 of each book and then sell them for $14.00 online and make a better profit than I do now. I only make $1.40 each as it stands. BUT....If I bought them at $6.42 and sold them online for $14.00 (plus $3 shipping) I could make so much more. I don't want to do the  math.

    I won't do any purchases on my own for international shipping as that would NOT be feasible. It literally costs about $18.00 to send a book overseas to friends in Scotland. I have taken to just giving them whatever it costs to order the book, so they get the book for free. I wish I could order them under my name and get the discount and then have them sent where I want, but that's not how it works either....dang it.

    OK, so in Chapter Four the boys are driving through the Texas panhandle and run across an amazing land owner and rancher who assists them in their independent missions as they scoot about in the Buick across what will eventually become a full-blown dust bowl in terms of what is in store for them as they traipse across the desert toward their oasis in the neverlands of Nevada's lower country.  They'll make it up to the Grand Canyon for sure, but not for a while to come. They'll meet up with mules, snakes, men of valor as well as hoodlums when they get there; it's a party.

    Today was fun. I hope I can do it again tomorrow, except tomorrow they'll be talking about so many other things as they make their way through Native American reservations, hunting grounds, seriously dry and arid pathways, and finally find their way to real trouble...you know they're ready!


PHOTO CREDIT:  Wikipedia.com

No comments: