Saturday, April 20, 2024

Living Quarters...and or Dimes.

 If you know me, you know that I am not very materialistic, and I don't have to live in a huge place to be happy. In fact, for the past, oh...487 years of my life, I've been living in what some would say a smaller space. Yes, it's true; I am a cave dog. I don't need or even want something large enough to have to worry about heating or cooling costs.

    I live in an apartment, the one I've been at for nearly a decade, not quite, but to be 100% honest, I'm OK with it. It's spacious, has good plumbing, and most of the neighbors are good. I've lived with them any number of times, as this is my 4th or 5th time to live in these apartments and really, it's true, once you show up you don't leave...well, you come back if you do.

    Laura and I have been roomies for far too long, and it's time for the big split. We've been planning the big split for years, but we think this summer may actually see it happen. We've had to put it off for this or that reason, but now it's really starting to appear that one of us will get a new apartment and the other of us will stay in this one.  Here's how that's going to work; it's really rather simple. If a downstairs unit becomes open I'll get it, and if an upstairs unit becomes available, she'll move. Viola! Done.

    I want to be downstairs because I'm tired of taking the stairs any number of times each day when I take the dog for her walk. There are about 17-18 stairs and I'm really not into climbing them 7-8 times a day, but I do. I hope I find a good unit downstairs, and if it happens to be a two bedroom unit, (which would be impossible) I'll be really happy. If it's a one-bedroom I'll be fine...I have decided to remain content. It's a good choice to choose.

    I went pretending today so I could make believe plans for whichever unit I do end up with. The great thing about being in a relatively inexpensive city, is that you can spend more on furnishings!! This is going to be one heck of a transformation for me, I can guarantee that!  I will start with not taking much of any of the things I have now, and streamlining. The first three or four weeks in my new place, or this place if Laura leaves, will be spent with the barest of bare essentials. I have to keep all the work equipment; there will still be the home office.

    I went to Living Spaces, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Target, At Home, and Home Depot today to find pieces and things I would like to buy to add to the space I will call home. Living Spaces was great for some good solid pieces, but they are expensive, and if I can find those types of things elsewhere I will use them as a guideline. When I was there I turned to see the parking lot and literally nearly every car was an SUV. Dang. 

    Big Lots has a good couch for $400 or so, that's probably going to happen. I can get a medium gel memory mattress for about $160 there as well, but the industrial pole-style bed I want will be from Wayfair or Amazon.  I'm going for a full size to make a bit more room in the room. I only sleep on 17" of my bed anyway - - dang dog.  I will spend the money on great bookshelves and ornate pieces that are both useful and nice. I will get two hope chests for storage and seating. I don't need much. It really will be just me and Ginger.

    I will throw out all the old tableware, cutlery, kettles, pots, etc, and start 100% over -- I bought a rolling pin today just because I could. I'll practice rolling pizza dough tomorrow after I go to Trader Joe's to get the dough - - totally forgot to do that today! I'm also making ginger snaps, because I can. But the things I found that I really want are things like plants (if the cat doesn't kill them) and those will be purchased at Home Depot. I may ask the landlord to remove the fridge so I can buy the one I want to buy. It's only $600 and I like the look of it better.

    I went to @Home and picked out artwork, baskets, dishes, cutlery, pillows, patio furniture, and nice side tables, and I found that they have good candles, but Michaels can't be beaten for that one. They have 3 for $10 and I love them all.  I'll end up going to Big Lots for things like the vacuum cleaner, brooms, cleaners, rugs, sheets, small appliances, and most of the bath needs. I love that store.

    Pretending is fun. I think if I thought about it, I could be moving in about 6 weeks if all goes well. If I do stay here they'll have to replace all the carpet, the countertops, the sink, and like I said, take out their refrigerator so I can add my own. This is going to be AWESOME...I know I can go to Hobby Lobby for artwork too, but I can say that @Home is good enough and again, I'm not an art snob. I will probably end up buying Caity some paints and a few canvases and having her paint me some things. Yep...and Mom.


Photo Credit: Me. (www.athome.com)


No comments: