Monday, April 22, 2024

MESA (Chapter 3 is DONE!)

 Thankfully, I am feeling like writing again. I get into these ruts when writing is the furthest thing from my mind, and that's really not the best thing to happen since I'm an author. I just don't want to be forced or nudged into writing if the writing isn't coming from a genuine desire; that's simple, right?

    So, I decided to do the whole put-the-toe-into-the-water thing, and I chose to write one chapter and only one more chapter. Tomorrow will likely be the same, and if I can keep this up for a few days I'll be more apt to write over the weekend. This being Monday, I have a few more chapters to write before Saturday takes over my brain. I'll probably make it happen. I can at least say that's the plan!

    Writing is fun and it always has been for me. I don't ever want to "have" to write. I want to enjoy it, and let it happen organically...you know, off the tips of my fingers and from the folds of the fleshy tenant inside my skull. It's not easy being an author when what you do is avoid writing. I did make up for the lack of writing out chapters by coming up with words, lines, thoughts, and plots to be added into the book at some point.

    I write out ideas, I add things to these ideas, and I pull up the NOTES from the computer for the book I'm writing and add as much as I can. My notes may end up being as thick as my books if I don't watch what I'm doing. I like the thought of having a book of notes, but what good would it do if no one would be able to make heads or tails of it? I don't exactly write my notes in any sort of organized fashion - - nope. I really don't.

    Chapter Three is in the can as they say. It's about Ralph Ferguson and Nick taking off for the great western deserts in the new Buick that Nick purchased a book or two back. He likes the car, he pampers it and takes really good care of it, so when he has to part with it --- oops...foreshadowing..." the jury will disregard that last statement".  Well, let's just say the car is a thing of beauty and worth every pretty penny Posh paid for it. ( that's alliteration, right there!)

    Chapter Three offers the reader a little insight into Ralph's past as well as Nick's. Ralph is a "junior" but doesn't go by that name. We'll find out later why that is. The reader finds out that Ralph's mother passed when he was young, and she couldn't be there for him during the hard teenage years or when he decided to sign up for the Army to escape the pressures he was feeling at home in Chicago; Nick's choice to join was foregone. He knew when he turned eleven that he'd someday wear the uniform of a soldier. His father wasn't pleased with his decision, but his mother knew it was the decision he would make.

    Chapter Three is just that; the third chapter of the fourth book in the Nick Posh Thriller Series. I need to come up with some thrills now I guess. I have them actually; they're all waiting for their turn to leap out from my head and onto the computer. I'm so happy I plotted and planned the whole thing from start to finish. I can just see myself jumping the gun, pulling the cart before the horse, and ending up head-first over the rocky clay cliffs of the Grand Canyon. I can do my characters harm if I let my head have too much of the rein.

    Tomorrow will be Chapter Four's turn. The boys will likely make it through the Texas Panhandle on Route 66 and be in Clovis, New Mexico. They'll find themselves lapping up the luxuries of a smaller hotel that sits right outside the boundaries and the newly paved parking lot of one of the more grandiose hotels either of the men had ever been privileged to see. They may take a closer look just for grins and giggles. I'm pretty sure I can arrange that. For now, for tonight and most of tomorrow, however, they'll have to be happy talking to the gas station attendant about how he was able to meet up with none other than famously funny funny-man Jimmy Durante, who just happened to be hopping the Southwest for promotional purposes.

PHOTO CREDIT:  Lee Ann McLane Goetz


No comments: