Monday, May 29, 2023

My Road Leads to Edinburgh (It took a minute, but I got there)

 My ancestors were Scottish. I know this. They were also English, and I try to ignore that fact. When I did the DNA thing, the one I chose first (My Heritage) used information from way back, something like the 800 A.D., so if I used it, I am 33% Scandinavian. Let's use our history lessons to discover what happened to these particular Norsemen. They came down to what would become Britton. It was Bernicia before that, I believe. Who knows, maybe I'm actually related to Ida. That's another blog; I doubt I am.  There was a greater need inside my soul to find out if I truly was more Scottish than I was English. I know that sounds incredibly boring, petty, and useless, but it's my journey, right? 

    I can at least trace my father's side back to Scotland in the 17th century, and before that, yes, they were English, but...and this is where I get all argumentative; the area(s) my people were from were disputed lands! Ha! There you go. Even the English could be Scottish at that point. They are in my head. They are my heart as well. Screw the English! Sorry Bee Gees, but to be HONEST, they were born on the Isle of Man, and it's closer to Scotland than England. I will always love you. I also love a few others who profess or confess to being English, but only a few. 

    My line, on Dad's side, here we go.

I was born in Oklahoma in 1961.  My dad is Reuben Wayne Stringfellow

Reuben Wayne Stringfellow was born in Arkansas in 1932

Reuben Jefferson Stringfellow born in Arkansas in 1909

Reuben Jefferson Stringfellow, Sr. was born in Arkansas in 1847

William Robert Stringfellow was born in Virginia in 1815

John Reuben Stringfellow was born in Virginia in 1780

Richard Reuben Stringfellow was born in Virginia in 1760

William Richard Stringfellow, born in Virginia in 1729

William Richard Stringfellow, Sr., born in Virginia in 1687

James Richard Stringfellow, born in Virginia 1662

James Stringfellow born in EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND in 1640

Sir. Robert Stringfellow, born in disputed lands Scotland, 1615

William James Stringfellow, born in Yorkshire, 1590

Reuben Thomas Stringfellow, born in Yorkshire, 1567

That's as far back as the records go, but there is another James Reuben Stringfellow in 1271 who appears as a witness to a land dispute in Yorkshire, so he's MAYBE another one of us. We can't be sure, but hey, he's a Stringfellow, and he has the name Reuben in there, so it's a real possibility. I do have to add that my son was born in 1986, and his name is Reuben Andrew Stringfellow. I was not married to his dad, but his father's name is RICHARD! Ha! Just thought that was hilarious. 

    My people moved to the new world in 1660 when Charles II took the throne and was not that pleased with the loyalties that my people had. I'm not sure I'm that pleased with their loyalties either, in that Robert was knighted, which means he was faithful to the Crown. He was given a Coat of Arms, which is cool and all, but yeah, it doesn't make me happy.  At least he was smart enough, as was his father, to marry a full Scottish woman. My Stringfellows were mixed with the Armstrongs and then the Campbells. (I am rather surprised that the people who bore and raised Sir Robert Stringfellow were married to Armstrongs. If you know your history, that's about as defiant as you can get -- Rebels!! I love it. Shove it England, although at the time Robert was being raised, James I (a Scot) was King. So, there's that. I freaking love history.

    My mother's line leads straight to England. Dad really should have been a bit more careful! He was smitten, and I get it; she's adorable, but it really didn't do my DNA any good, now, did it? My mom is an Edwards, then a Free, then a Hague, and up the line to the damn freaking Windsor family, but they weren't the same as the later Windsors, thank God. If I had to admit I was related to them, I would barf. I realize that sounds mean and nasty since, after all, the Queen was, in fact, a bit Scot, but I suppose I have a bit of Jacobite in me when I think about it, despite my Campbellness. REBEL!!

    So that's it. The next DNA test, Ancestory.com called it.  I'm 48% Scottish, 47% English, 4% Italian, and 1% Iberian. You just have to love that Iberian who seduced someone I don't know. They were like, YES...this is my chance to go to America!! The Ancestry test only went to about the 11th century, not the 9th, and it makes a huge difference historically.  I mean, we can all say that we are related to Noah. Think about that for a minute! Yes, you can take it too far.  My sister goes only back to the 17th century, not wanting to become too bogged down with details. I'm pushing that envelope because I know that the Scots were pushing it in the 17th century to regain the lands and plans the English took from them. You can only do so much with sticks and stones. We did have the whole paint-yourself-blue-and-swing-naked-from-the-tree thing. That was cool.  I can see myself doing that in another life and time. 

    OK, so that's about it, that's all I wanted to say. I can PROVE I'm Scottish. I know the Scots like to say if you're not born there, you aren't Scottish. I understand that, but it's not true. If you're not born there, you aren't BRITISH, but you are Scottish if that's in your blood. For anyone who argues or disagrees, remember, I'm first an American, and I will claim that, but that's where I was born. There is no such thing as "American" blood. Not even the Natives will say that; they are from various tribes. SADLY, and I mean this, I am not a single percent Native. That sucks, especially since I live and was born in Oklahoma, the Native capital of the WORLD.  Oh well, I'm good. I'm OK. I have my little list; I know the truth. Thank you, Sir Robert, for moving to America, but damn, couldn't you have left a few kids there who could have kept the line going? People need to think about their descendants!



Photo Credit: Pinterest.com 


No comments: