Saturday, May 6, 2023

Geez! History Would Be GREAT.

 Yeah, so it's a really good thing that I left that big fact disclaimer there in my first romance novel where I say that the book itself and any reference to the country of Scotland (and by doing so, including the entire book) would NOT necessarily be accurate. By not necessarily, I mean there is one huge, oh-so-stupidly incorrect factoid that really should be mentioned now, so I can say, "Oh, it's OK; it's fiction!"

    I said, in my book, that one of the characters, (Sean) had joined the Royal Army and that he was in one of Cromwell's units. Well, that's not the case, and it couldn't be because that was 1741 or something, and yeah, Cromwell was dead in 1658. OMG!! Yeah, I'm an idiot, but it's all good. We can giggle and say how daft I was for not checking that fact. The thing is, I THOUGHT I DID!!  Oops!

    So, now I have to go back into my research world and look it up again to know what's going on. I'll do this once I get the money to do so (currently not in that position). I'll pull the book, change the words, resubmit it, and all will be good. The books people buy today will be collector's items, and it's a win-win!! Yea, there you go. Sorted.  I'm a dork. I am 100% certifiable. I never claimed to be a historian, but you know, I really could have and should have caught that. The thing that I ask myself now is, how many people reading the book would know that to be the case? Would they stop in their tracks and say, "Wait, didn't Cromwell die in like 1658 or something?"  Most won't. It's still a point I think I should own. I'm owning it.

    Time is a good thing. We can use it to our advantage. Maybe, just maybe, Oliver Cromwell was using a time-traveling machine at the time my book was being written, and he did lead a campaign in 1746 against the Jacobites.  Maybe, but not probably, and yeah, no, he didn't. Oh well....fiction!!



Photo Credit: findagrave.com

No comments: