Friday, December 2, 2022

I REALLY Love Amazon.

 You just have to love all the "challenges" and games that people (mostly your friends) are playing on social media. It started years ago with someone sending around a long list of questions for you to copy and paste onto your FB wall, and then you erase the other person's answers so you can add your own.  The questions were usually rather tame, things like: "Have you ever broken a bone?"  They didn't ask how many, when, what, etc. It was just pretty general.  "First car?", and things like that.  So, now, the newest craze, it would seem, is that everyone and their dogs apparently, want to know what your last five purchases were on Amazon. I like how the author of the challenge adds "Keep it clean! This is for fun!"  Yeah, like anything I could add would be nasty, sexy, or otherwise naughty. I mean, I guess I could!!  I just had to be sure I didn't accidentally leave my address, my credit card information, or anything else that may be a bit silly of me. I know the Amazon man by name now, so when I get a message from Amazon saying they can't find my apartment, I giggle. It's not Tom!! NEWBY!!

    So, here are my last five purchases on Amazon. I had to go look it up to be sure because I order two or three things a day on that site. No, I'm not kidding. I know the author of the challenge didn't ask anyone to explain why they bought it, as most things you buy are self-explanatory, but I feel that one or two purchases may actually need to be given backstories. You'll see why

1.    Last thing: a power cord for my stupid monitor! (I have 6) It kept going out on me and I couldn't for the life of me figure out just why that was happening. Apparently, and you may need to know this, electronics go out on you. Yep, they get aged and they DIE.  I thought about going to Buy Buy but that would mean I would have to get out of my chair, take off my onesie, dress myself, and disturb my dog! We don't do that in our family. We don't disturb dogs. Cats don't count. You can get up and do all you need to do if you have a cat lounging on your lap, but not if you have a dog. It's a thang.

2.    LED night lights. These are little squares and they are really cute. They do the job and they last forever.  The moon isn't bright enough at night to be a good guide for me. I know I should (by now) know my own bedroom and I should be able to make my way to the bathroom without tripping over anything if I make sure I pick things up off the floor before going to bed. You would think that, but remember those cats I mentioned before? They prowl, and they play, and they try to kill me in the only way they can that makes complete sense to them. They move shoes and things small enough to carry, and they place them around my floor at night so that they can know when I'm up and about. This way they can beg me to feed them treats. NO! Dummies! If I'm already cussing from having tripped over my dang shoe, knowing who put it there, why would I be inclined to assist you with the pouring of treats? DIE! SUFFER!! (Not really, but you know, at 3:14 a.m. and when you're needing to pee, the last thing you need is to fall face first into your dresser because a cat left your wooly soft slipper in the path.
        
3.    Another onesie, but this one was for my daughter Caity who texted me and said her onesie had been stolen by her daughter and she has no way of retrieving it without being mean.  I agreed. There's no way I can take a comfortable and soft wore garment from my precious granddaughter. If she wants her mother's onesie then by goodness, she's gonna have her mother's onesie.  Amazon will deliver to whatever address you put in the little delivery field. Done.

4.    A tungsten wedding band for a man. Yes, that is true. You heard me. I thought I would have to explain this one since I don't really have a man. I mean, I made a man. He was a baby boy at the time, but now he's a man, but he's not mine to buy wedding bands for now, is he? Nope. That would be his wife's job, not mine. I have a good reason though. I have been praying and I have been asking God to lead me in His will and to do HIS bidding, not my own. I am not saying that "If you buy the ring a man will come along and wear it" that's not what I'm saying. I feel that the ring represents the idea of marriage, the idea of partnership, the idea of companionship, and the fact that it is tungsten, not gold or platinum is vital to my cause.  Tungsten is harder, more durable, and almost as dense as gold. It is a sturdy, strong, long-lasting, material that won't tarnish, it won't scrape, it won't break under most pressures; it won't melt unless you stick it in something over 7500 degrees Fahrenheit, and where it is hard to work with, meaning it's rather stubborn, it is nearly perfect JUST THE WAY it was made. That's the reason I bought a tungsten ring rather than a gold one. You can adjust and resize gold. You can't do that with tungsten. It is what it is. You get what you get.

5.    A 2023 wall calendar with Cairn Terriers. Talk about self-explanatory! Do I need to go into any detail with that one? I don't think so. Ever since I first saw The Wizard of Oz, I was in love with Toto. I wanted a dog just like him. When I found out they were predominantly bred in Scotland it made sense. These dogs are so great!! I've never actually owned one, having not been able to find one when I was needing a dog, but I have decided that when I do move to Scotland I will get one. That's the goal. Until then, the years pass with the little nippers on my wall.

So there you go, my last five purchases. Just to run down the list a bit further to show you how I am, just before the last five purchases, the five or twelve purchases before that were all books for my Kindle. You can buy books for Kindles on Amazon or through the Kindle itself. I have been on a roll lately with purchasing books by many major and not-so-well-known philosophers of the 15th-18th centuries. I think the newest guy is Soren Kierkegaard, so there you have it. I've been buying books by Reid, Locke, Dugald Stewart, and Hume.  

    I disagree with Hume on many points, but I don't want to appear ignorant, and as Reid says, "give the man a mental incapacity as a means of explaining his thoughts". I need to find evidence or at least be willing to discuss such.  For me, Hume is a pleasurist who merely wanted to do things that were both socially and religiously inappropriate, therefore, because of his shield of being an intellectual at a time when he was admired, he hid behind his sin using the excuse that if there is no God to punish a man for his actions then there is no punishable action. He didn't say that exactly but that's the gist. Reid backed Locke for the most part, but he denied one of Locke's principles that I happen to agree with, but we can go into philosophy another day. We really should. It's flat fascinating to understand what others believe and whether they even believe at all.

    OK, so there you go. My Five last purchases, and a few insights into my head. I'm not quite a Calvinist. I'll read my three books about the theory and see where I fall. No doubt, due to the years I have lived and the influences, I have lived under, I will be challenged to both agree and disagree, but at least I hope I will have an answer to both my alignment and my dissent. We'll put a pin in that too. I could order more pins on Amazon if I needed to. 

    

Photo Credit: Bostonglobe.com
    

No comments: