Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Christmas in Oklahoma Vs. Scotland.

  Granted, I don't have nearly enough personal experience on this topic in that I have only been in Scotland during one Christmas season, and to be honest, it was after the holiday had ended. I even missed Boxing Day, which would have been a rather interesting experience, to say the least. Every time I have been to my adopted land(s) I have been fortunate enough to go during the Spring or Summer, with the exception of the one time I did find an unbelievable discount on literally everything, so I just couldn't pass it up. That was before the Pandemic. I don't know that I would have had a very exciting time during 2020 or even 2021. I will say that I do WISH I was there now, as I know most venues have opened up and they are almost back to "normal", whatever that means. Do we even know what NORMAL looks like in 2022? Which normal are we referring to? The beginning of the 21st Century perhaps? Yeah, we'll go with that.

    So, let's just dive right in and go for the jugular on a few issues. America smacks the tartan pajammies right off my Scots friends when it comes to decorating houses.  You can't go a few yards (meters) without seeing another gaudy and over-the-top light show on most of the houses in the U.S. even if the houses are situated in smaller and lower economic housing.  Inflatables much? I don't think I saw more than six inflatables throughout the entire city of Edinburgh, and just east of Musselburgh, Portobello, Craigentinny, and surrounding areas. Six. I mean, no, I didn't count them, but what I mean by that is, there were so few that if I did see them I sort of began keeping track of it in my head.  Flashback to the U.S., and my niece has six inflatables in her front yard...garden. My niece is rather typical actually in some ways. Her house is lined with lights, and her trees are covered and wrapped in lights. You can pull up to her house and tune your radio into her personal frequency...and hear Jolly O' St. Nick singing to you.  Point U.S.A. (Honorary mention to Yvonne and Helen who received a Gold Medal this year, for their Christmas lights in East Lothian!)

    Presents. I am SO out of this category. I am not the one to use to boost the commerce points for the U.S. Nope. I am the one spending less and giving more time and service. However, the average American adult spends about $560 on gift giving in the Southwest, U.S.A. where the average Scot spends roughly $312 dollars; I had to do the conversion from Pounds to U.S. Dollars. I'm not saying that more is better, or less is best. I'm just saying there is CLEARLY a difference between the two countries when it comes to gifting.  Also, Americans tend to give tiny and smaller gifts to co-workers and friends at church, the mailman, the UPS driver, and of course the Amazon driver...please, he's like family! (and no, I can't forget my bankers. I love those people.)  That's not the case in Scotland, nor really in the UK according to the sources I've been drilling through to find my information. I guess I could have listed all the credits. I didn't.

    Gathering. Again, don't use me as your Southern hospitality Queen example. I am so not that.  If I drag myself out of bed before noon I'm doing good. My daughter and I vie to see who has to cook and often we just don't. I am an anomaly!  In the U.K., and of course, I'm supposed to be comparing Scotland rather than the whole of the United Kingdom, you'll see smaller gatherings. Families do gather, but they don't often include all of the extended family members. Obviously, there will be exceptions to these statements. I am an exception!  In Scotland, among my friends who I asked personally, the average dinner is at 4:00 or so, and it is rather formal in that they dress well, perhaps in a new jumper (sweater) and nice trousers (pants) for the event.  Mom, Dad, kids, maybe an uncle or aunt, maybe the grands. In the U.S. we tend to have blowouts. I remember being one of 48-62 that would show up for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas at my Granny's and she lived in a two-bedroom bungalow (Ranch) house. The good thing about it was my aunt Wilma lived next door in a three-bedroom Ranch style (bungalow) and we went back and forth. Maybe that's why I am such a minimalist now.

    Fun and entertainment:  I decided to go here because where I'm from we do have plays, pageants, walk-around lights, and such, but in Edinburgh, they have what we would call a mini-fair. They probably don't call it that. It's really awesome and has rides, booths, food, face painting, people dressed up, and food...did I mention food? It has a Ferris wheel, the swinging carousel, and other things. It's just so freaking awesome, and you can go at night and see the lights and hear stories, and take tours. It's just great family time. It starts pretty early, say around the 2nd week of December, and goes through the first of the year I think.

    Food.  It's really a toss-up on this one. A great deal of the families I spoke with in Scotland told me that they stuff themselves silly with food and so do we.  Americans have turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, yams, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, some sort of "salad" with marshmallows and gelatin, and we always have pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and usually some sort of cake for those who don't really like the pies.  In Scotland, you'll find lentil soup to begin the dinner, roasted turkey, boiled potatoes, Brussels sprouts, mashed carrots with turnips, gravy, bread sauce, oatmeal stuffing, and sausage stuffing. Desserts will usually be mincemeat pies, shortbread, and a parfait sort of thing called a cranachan. (It's really good) There is no shortage on either side of the pond when it comes to food, that's for sure.  We need a birthday cake you know. Happy Birthday, Jesus!

    The one thing that happens in America that will rarely happen in Scotland is the pick-up football game out back or at the nearest public park.  Now, having said that, I realize that when I say "football" I'm talking about American football. Naturally, the Scots aren't going to toss around the ol' pigskin when they can kick the checkered ball instead! More and more Americans will likely transfer this traditional game over to the "soccer" (football in the UK) family sporting fiasco than the other way around; if I had to place money on it. Again, I am so not the person to ask. I'm always too stuffed to play and would prefer walking around the block 100 times to get the calories off and my steps in. 

    I mentioned Boxing Day, which is the day after Christmas. It's more of a somber and relaxed day with far less running around and virtually no stress whatsoever. I think my Christmas Day is a lot like their Boxing Day. I just don't bother doing much, and since my gifting is done, my food is nearly picked through, and all I have to do is read or talk on Facebook, I think I like that day just as much as I do Christmas Day. I don't get to celebrate it usually. We don't recognize it in the U.S. (sad face) and most of us return to work. This year, however, because Christmas falls on Sunday, I will be able to fully appreciate the famous and fabulous Boxing Day!! YEA!! I am truly looking forward to it. Sir Walter Scott and I have a date. I'm in the middle of his Waverley novels - - it's gonna be a minute. I will absolutely cherish and embrace every lasting hour of that glorious Monday. Thank you, U.K. Thank you for Boxing Day.

    I think Scotland would be my preferred location for celebrating Christmas if someone were to ask me. I mean, if someone said, "Hey Jude, where would you prefer to be on Christmas morning, in Oklahoma, or in Edinburgh?"  There wouldn't be a delay in my response. I'd take Auld Reekie!  You have to know, and if you don't know you don't know, but it's worth finding out why Edinburgh was once referred to as Auld Reekie!  I would walk the Royal Mile. I would trek the Meadows. I wouldn't be able to go into the museums, shops, or public buildings, but I bet I could find a pub or two that would let me sneak in for a cup of cocoa and a game of darts. I'm pretty good at it really, it would make my day to spend time on the cobbled streets, among the aged and towering former tenements. Just to stop, pause, and gaze at the castle, and sit by the Ross Fountain for a minute would bring so much joy to this face and to my heart. Maybe next year. I hope.

Merry Christmas to you all, and wherever you are, and with whomever, you are with, know you are the key to someone's merriment. You are their present! Be blessed.


Photo Credit: Rachelehphotography.com 

No comments: