Saturday, November 5, 2022

Quinn!! It's Back!

 Quinn is neither male nor female. Quinn isn't living, and therefore it really has no gender. Sometimes people will assess or give a female name to a boat, or say "There she goes!" They refer to cars as shes as well. I don't. My car Stephen is a boy.  If you look underneath him you'll see his...well, his muffler. He's a cutie too, just sayin'.  Quinn, on the other hand, is a comforter, it is not just any comforter mind you, no no no.  Quinn is a certified, bonafide "Coma Inducing Comforter".  That's how you find it. You have to put those words into the search bar on Google or whatever search engine you choose. Quinn was named for the two very male and female things I have known and loved who are named Quinn and who are both big, brawny, beautiful, comfortable, loving, and reassuring.  It is named for Quinn the Mustang mare that I owned briefly and wished I could have kept, and Brian Quinn, the New York comedian from Impractical Jokers. He's hilarious and adorable. There you go.

    About two years ago when I froze my behind earlier than normal because Oklahoma decided to have an ice storm in the middle of a perfectly good October, I decided to buy my last big fat fluffy comforter. I hit up Amazon and I think I put in "Big, fluffy, comforter" and then, what happened next, can only be described as WOWWWWOOOOWWW!!  I found it. Yes, it was expensive. I didn't give a damn. I really didn't care whatsoever at that moment. Amazon had it, they were promising me that they could deliver it the next day, and I simply said yes to the comforter. Done!

    I'm kinda like that really. I have reached the point in my life where I've earned the right to buy myself things that I want. I certainly remember my mom never doing that. She would constantly wait until she asked my dad about buying this or that because she felt that he needed to be a part of every last decision. I don't think that's how I want to live my life. I don't have a husband for a lot of reasons, but if there was a chance that said husband would say no to my spending what I felt was needed, he wouldn't be married to me very long. This is the reason I am not married....well, one of the reasons.  That's not to say that if I had a husband I would spend whatever I wanted when I wanted. Nope, I would talk it out with him, and I would listen to him. If we couldn't afford the comforter, I would understand but if he said no just because he had the authority to do so, I may just have to let him sleep on the couch a few nights without said comforter; he'd have his authority, and he could snuggle right up to that authority and see if it kept him warm.

    I don't want to get off on a tangent about good wives and good husbands. The purchase of a comforter does not a divorce make. Nope. If that could happen the marriage wasn't solid in the first place. There are also those who would argue that the man should have said to the wife "Hey honey, do you think a really big fat fluffy oversized unbelievably soft comforter would benefit the both of us?"  If he would say things like that, the wife wouldn't have to think about spending the money without his input; there's that. He should be taking care of his wife 24/7/365 day in and day out, and she shouldn't have to think about is needed. She could then concern herself with taking care of all the things they had. It's a thought. Like I said, I'm not married. I bought the damn comforter because I wanted it.

    As you can imagine, Quinn is really big, really too big for my Queen-sized bed, but I'm good. The dogs are good. When Quinn isn't on my bed it is in the closet and the cats and dogs make it into their little hidey-hole massive hangout. That's why when I do have to drag it out of the closet to unfurl and unfold, I first take it and the pillow shams to the wee laundromat down the road. It's literally been there for 50 years I think. The machines are pert nearly that old really, but the ones that work still work. I can wash an oversized larger than King-sized fluffy coma-inducing comforter, two shams, my daily pillow, and a pair of trainers I threw in for good measure, all for $7.00.  The place I attend lets me dry for free when I pay for the wash! You really, no really, can't beat that. It's one of those really amazing things about living right here in the big city.

    Quinn stayed on the bed last year (2021-2022) from October around the 15th to about the middle of May.  The year before that, when I bought it, I'd say it was about the same timeframe. Last night was the first really cold night and it was November 4th.  Could that be global warming? LOL.  Don't get me started! Again, yes, the world will heat up, the Bible says so, read it. Learn something. Then pull up a big corner of your favorite comforter, lean against a few pillows while holding your new Kindle, and READ!  Don't forget the cocoa, but please be careful, you really don't want to heave that thing back down the stairs, into the car, and out to the laundromat again. Not only is it HUGE and cumbersome, but people at the laundromat also have to feel it a few times before and after you wash it. They can't get enough of it, and you stand there explaining yourself over and over again because people come and go from the laundromat. It's a thang.

    Yes, I bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite, and I'll probably use it for a minute and then break down and buy an All-New Kindle for myself for Christmas. I think the Paperwhite is good, and I bought it to see if I was going to like holding a Kindle rather than a book.  I do.  That, and I can buy $10 books for $.99 or less. I'm into that. I read a bunch of classics and they're really not expensive for a download. I'll gift this machine to someone I really love because you do show your love and appreciation when you gift a Kindle. 

    I don't know if I love anyone enough to give them a Quinn.  I mean yeah, my kids. I could get each of them one if they told me they wanted one. I'm that kind of mom. I will be that kind of mom forever I suppose...and, just to settle the matter in case you were all really worried for me if I had a real live husband I wouldn't go off and spend money foolishly even if I wanted to. I do have the manners and respect my mother and her mother bestowed on me. I'm just saying the man would be persuaded to agree with me. (she smiles)

    OK, so I have Quinn, I have the Kindle, I have the dog, I have the cocoa, and this is going to be a WAVERLEY night with Sir Walter Scott and the most comfortable, accommodating, over-the-top wonderful hugging quilt EVER!!!  God, I truly love my life. Thank you.


Photo Credit: Me

No comments: