Thursday, November 3, 2022

First Day Back (Arms Day)

 Wow!! It only took ONE DAY of complaining and blogging and there she was, my gloriously gorgeous fun, and fanciful daughter Laura, willing to be a bodyguard for me at the YMCA. Sweet Sourpatch Stunning Beauty Caity Baby Baby Caity would have volunteered for sure, but she does live in another city, far far away.  Laura stepped up, and she decided to hulky-bulk up too.  As long as I'm willing to foot the bill, for now, she's all about protecting me and keeping me safe and clear from any would-be chatters, suitors, creepers, or just people who fancy a chat with me when I'm working out at the gym! I don't go to the gym to chat!  Thank you, Laura. 

    So, we joined and then we waited until today to go since we haven't really prepared our bodies for working out on a near-daily basis.  We've decided to go to the gym 4x a week, and work out at home the other days, but when we do that we won't make a thing of it. We're talking just 15-20 minutes of light lifting and kettlebell workouts. We have a few different sizes of dumbbells and weighted bars. We use them to squat while we talk. I don't mind talking to Laura when I work out, that's another matter altogether. I can't very well ask the old man or woman staring at me at the gym if they let the dogs out or if they did the dishes earlier in the day. I can't complain about the wash not being done, or the chair being pulled out into the middle of the floor again! What's up with that? Oh, she uses it to do a back stretch. Put it back where it belongs!  Geez! (:

    So, we went to the YMCA and checked in.  We noticed immediately that we were virtually the only people there, so maybe the later we go the better. We went at 6:30 p.m. and we think that may be a magical time! I'll test my theory.  If I need to go at 7:00 p.m. to avoid the chatterboxes I can do that. They also relieve two of the workers too, and they have been an issue in the past with them trying to recruit me to volunteer for a spin class or an adventure class.  No, no, and again, NO! I just want to go in, grab a machine or three, use them, row for a while, do the battle ropes, hang on the rings to get the muscles pulled out a bit, then walk 3 laps and go home! Fun times. 

    We did find the new (really old) machines are rather unique and heavy-duty, more than industrial really, and I can say that they are definitely going to do what we need them to do. Laura and I both used the arms, lats, and pec machines today (I also used the rowing machine while she did a few free pull machines) We met in the middle and did the lats and there is a sitting row, which of course they are all sitting rows, but this one is where you sit, put your feet up, and only use your hands to grasp the pulls (two positions) and you pull back. As you pull the machine "arms" go out and around a bit before coming back to you, and yeah, you can add up to 250# if you want to. I think I did 30# before I decided to lower it and do less weight and more reps. I'm really not trying to bulk but to add tone and muscle so I can get the gut to disappear. (It's a thing. You build muscle all over and the flab is supposed to disappear. We'll see if it works.)

    For the most part, we did all we needed to do in about 30 minutes. We didn't rush ourselves, we didn't take our time. We just worked and we think that about 30 minutes at a time will be good. She may go during the day as well since she works from home and can do that. I'll just do the 4x a-week thing, then the light lifts at home while I read - - one hand for the book, one hand with weight. I can see that happening. When I need to turn the page I can use my nose -- it's a Kindle! I will make this happen people. Sir Walter Scott and I will be in shape before the Black Dwarf dies! If you don't know, you don't know Elshie the Recluse and I can't help you. Read a book!

    Our Y has a great donation bin just as you walk into the door. I'm dragging two bags of clothes there tomorrow. I'm also going through the kitchen cupboard and bringing whatever canned goods I can carry.  They have a food pantry!! I love that! I love it when the community can give back. Such an honor. God has been so good to me, and I have every intention of being good to and for others. I just don't want to spend a bunch of time chatting it up with anyone while I donate either - - sorry, I just don't like small talk really. It's needless, useless, and dumb.  Besides, they may find out I'm this over-the-top right-wing conservative who's both pro-life and pro-Trump. Maybe I should just wear that t-shirt and no one would come up to me. I mean yeah, but I don't want to end up on the wrong side of a row either! Best we leave our politics at home. The gym is for battling ropes, not tongues.

    I came home and grabbed my hemp protein to make a shake. Laura uses the standard whey powder. I'm too cool for that you know. I have hemp, and I add collagen to it. I also add powdered vitamins, turmeric, and a bunch of everything else. She tasted it and nearly gagged. "Oh my gosh mom, it tastes like grass, or maybe dirt!"  Well, there you go.  I love that. Could be a leftover memory from when I was a kid. We Boomers really didn't have much more to do when we were kids, so yeah, mud pies and dirt clods.  We survived.  Heck, we were thrown in the back back of the station wagon without belts. The back window was usually rolled down so dad's cigarette smoke could escape, and since the speed limits weren't really set, we got where we were goin' a bit quicker in those days. Again, we survived.

    It's time to get this body in shape and do all I can do to it before I say my last farewells.  It's a win-win.  I'm having fun now, and if I leave this place, I know where I'm going. I don't think Heaven actually has a gym, but if it does I can probably find more time to carry on a bit of conversation with someone. After all, eternity is a very very long time.


Photo Credit: ManitobaHarvest.com

No comments: