Thursday, October 27, 2022

Scottish Tablet -- Yes, Please.

 I can't tell you on which trip it was that I first had my taste of real Scottish tablet; but I can tell you that I enjoyed my aunt Wilma's blond fudge, which is what she called her recipe! Remember, I'm an American girl with about 47% Scottish blood running through me, and if you consider that at least half of the 48% of the English blood running through me is from the SOUTHERN tip of Scotland and the bordering areas, I bet you pounds to dollars I have a lot more Scots blood in me than that silly DNA test will try to say I have!  Let's be real. The borders were an area that went back and forth between the kingdoms of England and Scotland, and my people (mostly) were revilers who stole cattle, forced people to pay rent to graze on lands they didn't own, and they married both Scottish and English women so you just really don't know how accurate these tests can be. At least I can count on the tablet!

    What is a Scottish Tablet? Well, it's like I said, a blond sort of sugary fudge treat. You make it on the stovetop, some people use the microwave to initially melt the butter, milk, and sugar, but there's no reason to do that. I choose the old-fashioned method of using the big pot and you must use a wooden spoon -- or do what I did, use a rubber spatula with a wooden handle. I think it counts. I did add love, you have to add a lot of love. If you chinch on the love you're not going to have a good result. That's guaranteed!

    So the thing about tablet (in Scotland) is that it can be gritty due to the amount of sugar being used. Americans are so fussy, aren't we? We tend to tone down the sugar a smidge and add flavor, maybe a bit more butter; what I did would be considered illegal in the Old World. I used marshmallow cream. Yes, I really did. So also, instead of using real sugar, I used monk fruit. Say what? Did she just admit to not using sugar in tablet? Wow, can it still be considered to be tablet? Yes, and in fact, it's a really good dish.  I use marshmallow cream to add vanilla flavoring and a creamy texture to offset the fact that it's made with less sweet stuff.  Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I didn't have full-fat milk today so I used 2%. Yep, just cheating on this thing all the way around.

    I'm making a batch for work tomorrow. We have a monthly birthday celebration and I usually bring a Scottish dish. I was asked to bring the same thing I made last month but I excused myself because I think people should try different types of sweets and savory dishes from time to time. Last month I made shortbread sticks. I even have a really cute thistle stamp that I put on the tops of the shortbread! It was gone before the morning break. I'm hoping they enjoy the tablet equally well. If not I'll just bring it home. I know I love it.  Tomorrow is also the annual chili cook-off, and I didn't want to make haggis chili for anyone; you just never know what could happen if a wild haggis was seen roaming the halls of the big office building. You have to butcher the haggis fresh if you're gonna do a good chili. Anything can happen.

    I took photos of the tablet while I was making it, but I'll have to add one from Pinterest here (to show you what it looks like) because mine is cooling off right now, so I can't cut it. I may even put it in the fridge to harden up a bit. I'm making a trial batch for my family first, then I'll venture into doubling the recipe so I can make enough for several people. It's a potluck type of dinner really, so I'm not going to make enough to feed everyone. I made 60 shortbread sticks and they were literally eaten almost as soon as they hit the countertop in the breakroom. One of the traders stated "Well, if you snooze you lose" when he was explaining to someone on the floor what was once sitting on top of the display plate that I brought.  Yep, gone.  Several of the traders (and I) arrive at work around 7:45 a.m. so yeah, we're gonna get to the good stuff first or as it comes into the office.

    Because Scotland is a land so rich with national pride and great dishes, I can literally bring a good solid Scottish traditional dish once a month and not have to repeat anything. This month it's tablet, next month it will be macaroni and cheese. I bet you didn't know that was Scottish!! It is.  I make mine with garlic, chopped onions, and parsley.  I may make a Shepherd's pie for December, but since it will be a Christmas-themed gathering, I will likely find something more traditional like bread; but Shepherd's pie is a must. You can't go a month without it really. I know I don't. I make mince and tatties often too, but I'm not going to bring that as it is separate, both mince and tatties, and some people would just get one or the other and that's not how it's supposed to go!!

    Anyway, today's tablet is wonderful. I can see it cooling down now. It's not as dark as a traditional tablet since I've added the marshmallow cream, but let me tell you, it's divine. Yes, yes, it is. It is smooth and sweet, and since I cut it into 1.5" x 1.5" squares it feeds 48 when you put it into a 12" x 9" pan. That's not bad. I feel like I've done my duty, to be honest. I can't be expected to feed 90+ people -- well, that's not true. I would do it if I was asked to or expected to. I don't mind cooking, and I certainly don't mind teaching people who have never tasted a bit of Scotland what it is like to be raised by really good Scottish women who knew their way around their kitchens. Who knew wooden spoons were used for more than just whipping the kids? (I'm old, it happened.) 

    Thank you, Aunt Wilma! Thank you, Granny! I'd say thanks to Mom, but she wasn't the cook in the family. She was the artist. She could paint a picture of tablet that's for sure. It would look better than anything I could cook too! What she lacked in culinary skills she more than made up with paint and brushes!  I didn't get that talent; nope. I am the cook. My BIG big sister was the geek, she knew all the I.T. stuff, and she is quite crafty too.  My Little big sister is a MASTER seamstress and she cooks. I am a baker and a cook, and I write.  My brother just went from house to house eating what we prepared. He's a mechanic, so he's quite useful as well.

    Whether you call it blond fudge, tablet, or just dessert, it's a fun and easy thing to do. You can Google the recipe easily enough. You won't find one using marshmallow cream, but you can add it. You can add cinnamon too if you want! Just sayin. It's your treat! Double-dog dare you! 

    



Photo credit: Pinterest.com 

No comments: