Saturday, October 22, 2022

Mini Waffles!! (or homemade Eggos)

 Life is too funny at times, and I try to make the most of it when I can. I went to the store and saw a handful of mini or tiny kitchen appliances for folks who are living alone, or maybe who are at college and aren't allowed a full-fledged kitchen in their dorm! I was amazed at what you can buy really, and therefore, I decided to think about it and see if buying a mini waffler would be an enhancement to my daily life. We'll have to see how this ends up working out for me, as I didn't think it all the way through really.

    So, if you buy Eggo waffles you know they are about four inches round. They are very uniform, and you can pop them into the toaster and they'll be hot and ready for you in a matter of one minute or so. You buy them frozen, put them into the freezer, and I think they come in packages of 10 for about $2.49.  I think that's the cost. I tried to remember.  OK, but a box of pancake/waffle mix (the type you just add water to) is about $1.49 and if you're really into being as cheap as you possibly can be, you can do the whole bulk thing at Winco, and the same amount will cost just about $1.10. The box of waffle mix makes many many more than eight waffles! If I had to guess I'd say the box makes about 40 or more waffles that are four inches round. Such savings!

    OK, but doing it yourself does require that you have a cup to pour the mix in, a spoon to stir it, and of course, you need to have a waffler. I choose the tiny little mini waffler because it's adorable, and takes up so much less space than the bigger appliance. I have a bigger appliance, but you can't make four-inch round waffles with it unless you're really good at trying to do the pouring and no, it's not worth the effort. Get the little one, and be done with it.  When all is said and done, the Eggo costs about .29 cents each (after tax) and these little waffles are less than .04 cents each. You can't beat that, and yeah, it takes a minute, and you have to clean it, but you do save on the waste, and you do save on the space in your freezer, and you do save on the cabinet top too! You can put the waffler thing in a drawer.

    The egg muffin thing is cool and I could end up getting it, but the toaster is working for me on that one and the microwave. I'm not needing to buy another big or tiny appliance. I have a really cool rack in my dining area to keep the kitchen appliances on anyway, so at least I can walk through my kitchen and not feel crowded. It's not a big kitchen. I need a much much bigger kitchen. That's next on the Christmas list I think. Santa may have to start earlier this year. I want a three-bedroom house with two bathrooms, a garage, and a backyard. I think that will fit nicely in my stocking over the fireplace. (I don't have to have a fireplace. I just said that.)

    OMG..I can compare the ingredients and the nutritional value of the Eggos vs. my box waffles. Let me go do that really quickly, and I'll come back and let you know what I found.

Well, that's surprising. There is more sodium in the pancake mix, but there is less sugar (9 vs 10) and less fat (2g v. 4g), and fewer carbs (26 v. 32).  All in all it's a better choice to do the add-water pancake mix for cost and nutrition, but you do need to know the sodium is much higher. I don't know why that is, but it is. Convenience and on-the-go timing would be a plus for the Eggo, but cost and health are two advantages of the pancake mix. You do have to clean the cup and the waffler. There is a bit of maintenance involved. OK, I have to go, I have dishes to do, laundry, and bed sheets to change. I think I'm going to the store again later anyway to get dog food, but I may end up ordering that on Amazon now. 

    PetSmart sells the dog food I buy for $39.00 a bag, and Amazon delivers it to my place and it's $32.00 a bag. I think about these things. It may only save a bit here and a bit there, but it could be the difference between making those ends meet later on, and I need that. I need to know I did everything I could to make it happen...then I go off and buy half a dozen donuts for no good reason! Yeah, I'm human!

    I did try to cook a sausage patty in the waffler today, and I think it will work if I squish it down a bit. I could just fry it up, but that also takes a bit of time. I can't do the egg in the waffler but I can microwave it with cheese.  The mini waffler is really cute and they have really fun colors. It was NOT a necessity, but it's going to make mornings a bit better. I need to start eating breakfast again, even if it's just a little waffle and sausage sandwich, or the egg-muffin cheese and ham sandwich I make too. I can't pretend that fasting is working, as it's not. I have been fasting from 7PM to 10AM for more than two years, and I think really if I change that to 7PM to 8AM I'll be fine.  (I'll let you know  if I balloon or something)

    Viva la comparisons!!  Life is fun!


Photo Credit: Me (That's a nickel on the waffler to show scale)


No comments: