Saturday, October 1, 2022

Civil Responsibility. (If You Say You'll Do it, Do it.)

     I am not one of those supportive fans who pay XX amount of money each month into a Patreon (crowdsourcing) type of account for say a vlogger, a singer, a writer, or anyone really. I understand the concept, and I can even appreciate the fact that others do pay for subscriptions to help artists and would-be entertainers. I even understand that many start-ups need extra income so that they can focus on their work and they can do what they need and want to do. The problem I have with all of it is the fact that there are so many of these takers. I'll call them takers, who take money from hundreds or even thousands of subs and they don't really give back to the community who is paying into it. They often pre-record videos to share, or they come up with fake and boring "private messages" that ONLY members can see. OK, yeah, if you can't say it without charging to say it, I'm not really going to be interested in what you have to say. I can see giving a bit here and there, but I can't see funding someone so completely that they and their spouse are now rolling in money to the point that they travel the world "So you don't have to", isn't that their catchphrase?  Investment is one thing, supporting and financially maintaining is another.

    One such artist, one who asked his fans to give a little, maybe just the amount of a good-sized coffee drink each month, promised that anyone and everyone who subbed to his channel would be invited to a monthly video-zoom chat with him, and for about 15-20 minutes each month, he would keep his fans up to date, answer questions, and give them candid insights to what he was working on. Whoo! Wow! Geez, don't we all feel special?  The thing is, that lasted one month exactly. He didn't get the numbers he expected, but 14 people did continue to sub but no, they were not given monthly updates and videos, and they were not given zoom chats. He basically just kept taking their money while he stepped away from the microphone for about four solid months, and that led to now 10 months since there's been any real "update".  Who in their right mind would continue to sub someone who failed to meet the very basic promises. Fifteen minutes a month isn't such an enormous commitment that it can't be done! Make it happen. You gave your word. Perhaps "your word" doesn't mean as much as it did years ago.

    Seems to me that the Patreon site and sites like it would be a bit more aggressive by holding owners of channels and/or whatever they're called, to their contract. I say "contract", but it is a promise to do something for a fee. It is an offer and an acceptance of said offer, therefore, it is a contract. In some cases, it's even in writing if the artist writes out his or her rewards for this level of support, and more for the next level.  It makes sense for someone giving even a dime to an artist to expect something in return. I would support and give for the sake of supporting and giving but I have a problem with giving on a monthly basis with a half-assed promise or tease really, to be able to see, hear, and/or communicate with a particular person in person or on live chat.  Pardon me for being so underwhelmed, but I don't tend to worship men or women. I appreciate them. I applaud them. I am an admiring fan, sure, but I am not about to contribute month after month while the artist sits on his or her duff doing nothing, or goes traveling for months without so much as a "hello" now and again on the site through a video or posted message.

    Is a fan supposed to GUESS what's happening if the artist decides to be moody and not respond to his or her obligations just because they don't FEEL up to it? Maybe they're having a bad week, a bad month, and they think because they are the ones with all the creative juices they somehow have a right to play it coy and be the aloof stand-offish type of entertainer that so many people coo and babble over; being able to brag that they contribute to the next greatest hit!  There's a sucker born nearly every day I'm told. Many of these people grow up to be Patreon contributors, I suppose.  

    Again, I understand a timed giving; say for the next few months they ask for help while they stay at the grind and work on an LP but taking six months to write one song? No. I'm sorry, that's playing the field, and it's both immoral and unethical! It's robbery if you think about it; since they promised and obligated themselves to perform certain duties, but they walked away without so much as an explanation. Don't the fans who pay these people DESERVE respect? Maybe the artist is under the impression that because they seemingly walk on water, they can't be bothered to let the people in on their actual lives; just the fake veil they put up, the plastic masks they wear for the camera.  (and they wonder why their numbers drop)

    Say an artist is accepting money, say five dollars ($5.00) a month from anyone and everyone. They receive $50,000.00 a month because they have a great fan base. Are they giving back $50,000.00 in return through both doing what they said they were going to do, and producing music, paintings, sculptings, writing, whatever it is that they promised they would do for the sub money?  You'd think those 10,000 people paying in their $5.00 a month would demand it, but I think what happens is each of them thinks they only give $5.00 so there's no way the guy/gal is making a true living; but there they are, skydiving in Dubai, hang gliding in Colorado, and sailing off the shores of Hawaii and Peru, on YOUR $5.00 folks. Where is the accountability? Where is the product for payment? Do they give you a "thank you" on the next album? "To all of my Patreon fans who gave so I didn't have to actually work, I really want to say a big thanks, and don't forget, you can give more if you want to!"    No, I'm afraid my Daddy raised me a bit more ethical than that.  (I wonder if they actually pay the correct taxes? The tax people should look into this! We have to pay our taxes, don't we? They should too!)

    I mean yeah, hats off to you! It's a great gig if you can get people to do it. There are lots of people who for $5.00 a month think that they can be your best friend I suppose. Maybe they receive a bot-generated email that's been personalized and they truly think the artist is writing to them; that they give a damn about their lives. I wish they did. I wish anyone and everyone who asked for help would receive it. I wish everyone and anyone who gave freely felt that they received exactly what they expected to receive. If you're not expecting the artist to do more than eat ice cream and watch box sets while paying his or her bills with your $$, then that's what you paid for. I personally would want a bit more in return. I'd want them to acknowledge the gift(s) and practice what they preach; if they are going to be away and/or unable to attend the zoom meetings, or even keep in touch for a while, they need to say so; not leave their fans in the lurch. I think that's what I find most appalling about this one-way ticket of support.  Accountability! Communication is key! If you don't intend to keep your word, don't give it. 

    Would I love for 10,000 folks to pay me monthly so I could stay home and write the next great novel? Maybe, but I can tell you this, I wouldn't drag it out. I wouldn't lie and make them think they were getting updates and private insight if I didn't actually do what I said. I mean what I say, and I couldn't feel right about going even a week without some sort of communication with those who cared enough to give to me and to my project. It would literally mean the world to me to think that others shared in my passion enough to support me. Why would I let them hang for months on end without so much as a "boo"?  How are people supposed to know what to expect?  No, I can't endorse that. I'll wait for the LP and buy it if I like it. Crowdsourcing wasn't meant to be a sham, but it's certainly turned out to be a slide-easy for too many vloggers and too many YouTube sensations! Maybe it's just my opinion, but it is in fact, my opinion. I can't be the only one not paying someone to do something. I bet there are a whole lot of us!



Photo Credit: Medium.com

No comments: