Saturday, August 20, 2022

Rockstar? Not Impressed.

 Yeah, I'm not gonna lie about it, I love guitars.  I love that others can play them since I apparently can't.  I love hearing them, I love being around them. What I don't like is when a really talented individual believes himself (or herself) to be a god of some sort, and more or less imposes themselves on those around them. I guess they're hoping to be worshipped. Keep walking Schmo! No one thinks you're cute, and your attitude (and public behavior) leaves way too much to be desired.  Not impressed.

    Oklahoma has seen its share of really talented musicians, singers, songwriters, and the like. You can't throw a stone in this state without hitting someone who has been a recording artist. I'm not kidding; think about it. Reba, Garth, Vince, All American Rejects, Flaming Lips, just to name a few.  So, when I walked into a local store today to do a little shopping, I was not the least bit interested in making the acquaintance of some overly tanned distressed overtly obvious drug addict who decided he wanted to waltz his way over to me to seek my attention.  Move forward. 

    It's times like this, and they don't happen all the time, (but when they do it's priceless) when putting on the "Reuben Face" helps more than you can imagine. My son Reuben, a Staff Sgt. (soon to be First Sgt) in the Oklahoma National Guard, United States Army (ret.) has a face he employs whenever he wants to convey an undeniable message of "Back the f*ck off or face the consequences".  It's sort of a cross between an angry Pit Bull and a patient crocodile.  He may even draw in a breath through his nostrils, flaring them up a bit in order to make that sound that reiterates the dispatch of the face. In other words "No."

    I think our eyes met as he began his word slurring.  He caught my report without me having to say a word.  In sort of a Jack Sparrow mannerism, the man spun around on his heel, and in doing so he fell to the floor. Yeah, you don't impress me much. What I did think was funny was that the furniture department manager walked up to the man and politely asked him to leave. Mind you, the manager is about 5'8" and maybe weighs 140 pounds. The thug was around 6'3" and pushing 270 or so.  When this took place the musician snapped "You don't know who I am, do ya?"  I loved the response of the manager.  He said politely, but loud enough we could all hear him, "If I don't know who you are, you must not be all that important."  Thank you!  I gave the obligatory nod, and it was received. 

    Before the man left the store he had a few things in his arms that he was needing to pay for. He literally tried to push his way through others claiming he was in a hurry and he didn't "do lines".  Wow.  I don't know what band this man played for. I didn't recognize him, but a woman in the line called out the name "Tucker" and she said "Oh my gosh, I love you!"  I shook my head and thought, "This is why he thinks he's important. People let him push his way through life."  To reward her he walked in front of her, never acknowledging her, never thinking to say thank you. He didn't even say "Oh, I love you, too!", as some would do to show appreciation. Nope, he was just a dick from start to finish, and I decided to pray for the man rather than spit on his memory.  This life is all he has. This may be his only Heaven. Yep, God got me in the end, but that still doesn't mean I have to talk to the louse. 

    When I came home and told my daughter about it, her basic response was the same as my last thought. The man needs help. He needs detox, he needs rehab, he needs reform, and structure.  He needs Jesus.  OK fine. I'll pray for whoever Tucker is. Why can't all rock stars be like Barry Gibb (Sir Barry Gibb, my apologies). I doubt that Barry has ever (since he's been an adult) been snotty, rude, mean, nasty, imposing, or belligerent. Maybe once. We'll let him have that.  If you are a public figure and you are going to be in a public store with the public, please take heed and think before you drink.

 It was around 10:30 a.m. when this happened and the man was either pumped up from last night, or he started rather early. To think that he's out driving the streets in that condition is terrible to imagine. He'd be the first to drive off or deny any wrongdoing. He's a blamer - no responsibility taken.  On one hand, we do need the musicians. We do need the singers, we do need the songwriters. We need the performers. We should show an enormous amount of grace and appreciation for their skills and talents, but on the other hand - - well, you know what I'm about to say. This is a two-way street. 

Photo Credit: WallPaper Access

No comments: