Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Clothes Clothes Clothes

     It's really weird, but whenever I type out a word several times in a row, the word doesn't look like it should look that way. I felt that way when I was typing out the title of the blog.  Clothes, clothes, clothes. I thought maybe the h seemed odd just sort of hanging out in the middle of the word without making a sound. Is it just me or do you think that way as well?  What I did notice about that word, the word "clothes", is that in the Scots Gaelic language to have a "th" or an "mh" or "bh" in the middle of a word, there is either no sound or a "v" sound. Much of our English language is influenced by the Celts; so yeah, that makes sense.  (See what I did there with the "h" on the end of "yeah"?)

    I have too many clothes. I have way too many clothes. I have no one to blame but myself, and I just blamed myself. I have far too many clothes, therefore, I am going back through the closet another time in order to dwindle down the unused, unworn, not worn often, and just those I had no idea were even in the small space I pretend is large enough for all of my clothes.  By this time tomorrow, I will have a smaller wardrobe, and the local Goodwill store will be that much better off. I will wash the clothes of course (probably in a little vinegar and bleach) to make sure all of the pet hair and the family smells are no longer present.  That will feel really great! It's not spring, but I need to do a bit of giving away and why not start in the closet?

    I also decided today to iron all of my dress shirts to be prepared for going to my new job.  I haven't been hired yet! I thought it would be today, but that didn't happen. That doesn't mean I can't mentally prepare. You may already know this, but when I plan I often preplan. My plans have outlines and footnotes. I get into it, friend. I am one heck of a planner; let me just say that out loud!  I pulled out the ironing board and set it up. When I did, it made that familiar metallic sort of scream that they make.  I don't think the cats were ready for that. It's been a minute or two since I last ironed anything.

    When I say it's been a minute since I  last ironed anything, that's because I wore mostly t-shirts and/or class polos when I taught from last August to October. I haven't worked since October, and before last August when I started back to the classroom, I hadn't worked in over 18 months; not out of the house.  I have some of the prettiest dress blouses ever made, but I've not been able to wear any of them for over two years and really three or four because I was teaching before that, and you may wear one nice blouse if the parents are coming to the school for conferences. What do you do with all those wonderful dress blouses just hanging in your closet? I'll tell you what I did; I gave 80% of them to Goodwill because I lost so much weight between 2020 and now that I can't wear them. BOO-YAH! Someone's gonna be happy!

    I hit up Amazon and ordered 15 new shirts that do fit and they are really close to the same type, style, and even colors as the XXL that I'm giving away. It feels too good to say goodbye to them, and I am too happy that I am able to do so.  My friend told me to have them altered, but no, you know what, they've been in the back of the closet for years and someone else will think they hit the jackpot when they roll up to Goodwill and find these gorgeous blouses for fantastic prices! That's the best gig out there!  If the particular place I shop on Amazon wasn't as reasonable as it is, I wouldn't do it, but they are really great. The brand that I typically buy is usually there and as long as they're made in the U.S. or by one of our allies, I'm good with that.

    It's been a few weeks back, but when I decided to go through my t-shirts I think I gave away 84. That's saying something. It says I had way too many t-shirts. I see them and I buy them. This is an obvious addiction. I don't know if there's a rehabilitation program for someone like me, or if I'm just going to have to wing it on my own, but I do have to, and I do need to stop buying so many dang t-shirts.  It doesn't help that Six Dollar Shirts (6DS) is out there literally selling their tees for $6, or that TeePublic offers 40% discounts all the time. Then there's Amazon again. They have their own brand of cute tees and even if I just want one for a weekend party or something, I will go to these stores online and make it happen.  This isn't the worst habit I can think of, and unlike used drugs, I can offer someone free tee shirts whenever I get the urge to purge.

    If you're like me, and you have too many clothes, there is another thing you can do with them rather than take them to Goodwill and drop them off. You can, if you're really cool like that, shred them, dye them, (or dye them and shred them), and then weave them into rugs for dogs! Yes, that's the latest thing I've seen online. Some people don't even bother dying them, they just get out the weaver stuff and make these cute little beds for their dogs. I don't know that I'm going to do that since I am really sure I don't want my old clothes living with me in any capacity, but it is a really cool idea. I'll post a photo.  I suppose you could do the weaves and donate the beds to shelters. I bet someone sells them for $$$$ on Etsy! If I had nothing but time and energy I may consider that; God knows I have the material hanging around my house.  I don't think it was always this way, and I'm looking into ways to fix the problem.

    Have a blessed and cleaner day! I hope you find all the unwanted things and are able to donate them to make another person smile! That's always worth the time and effort if you ask me.


Photo Credit: Unknown Pinterest

    

No comments: