Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Hurricane and Hail Season!

 This Thursday, well tomorrow, I'll take the Oklahoma Property Adjuster's test. I thought I took it about six weeks ago, but apparently, there was a mix-up and though I paid for that exam they gave me another one. I passed the other one, and now have my Oklahoma Casualty Adjuster's license, I still need the P that goes with the P&C. I have been a property adjuster in the past, so the test really shouldn't be that hard. I hope I pass it the first time around and it will all be a formality. If you're like me, and you test well but get nervous anyway, then you'll understand why I'm a bit peeved at the company I paid to administer the correct test. I did think it was odd that I didn't have any real property questions, but I thought maybe it was just the luck of the draw that I would be tested on mainly casualty or life issues. There you go! My brain!

    After taking the exam I'll pay for the new license(s) when they're downloaded into the system. They don't actually give you physical licenses, you just pay a fee, and you print out your receipt. There should be a certificate or something you can hang on the wall! I may make one and ask if it's OK if I display it. Better to ask than to be slapped around by the law - - although it's really rather a moot point because I'll be working from home after I get that license. No one is really going to come into my home office and say "Hey, let me see your license!" and then again, no one is going to be coming into my home to see if I display a fake one either! This staying at home thing is really nice; I like it. I work out of the house for now, but not for long.

    What happened was simple. I took the exam they gave me, but it wasn't the one I needed to be fully vested and/or hired with XYZ company. I applied at other companies knowing I would be leaving as soon as I passed the exam and word got out that I have. When you take these types of exams it only takes a week or two before the hounds come sniffing! When they find your resume on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, and other places connected with the industry, they start calling and requesting interviews. Most if not nearly all of these types of companies are either insurance companies wanting you to adjust their estimates to a lower scale, and/or they are construction companies, auto companies, and other property companies, that want you to create an estimate that reflects their desire to have tiny add-ons and such to raise the estimate. It's a game. You play it. With hurricane and hail season approaching, everyone will be hiring. 

    What I'm doing now is letting every one of these would-be employers know that I won't pad anything. If I don't think it's viable I won't write it up to begin with. This means I'll more than likely end up on the insurance side, and in a more protective mode. I'm OK with that. Too many construction companies and/or auto owners try to pull the strings a bit too tight and in the wrong directions trying to get a tid bit more than they deserve. The whole point of the Indemnity Principle is to help the owner be restored to their position at the time of loss, not the original price. It's more about replacement cost less any depreciation rather than replacing it at whatever it would take to bring it to the original purchase condition. I think you see the difference(s). I know I do.

    When my car was rear-ended in May of this year I did a quick assessment of what I thought it would be. I came up with $3300-3500.  The GEICO adjuster who works for my insurance company, but for the other party, came up with $2760.  The GEICO guy working on my behalf came up with $3100.00. So you can see that we're all pretty close. I went with my guy obviously, and if I had any real damage to the car that wouldn't be covered with what difference there was between what he came up with and what I guestimated, I would have stuck to my own pricing, but it was close. The GEICO adjuster working for the other side had to concede given that he had proof that some of the parts would possibly cost more than he was allotted, but you can understand how it works. One side tries to make it less, one side demands more, and then you either negotiate, mediate, or bring a suit. We decided to negotiate. It's best when you can.

    So, my thing is this: I'm getting the license tomorrow hopefully, then going to wait about a week to get the word out that I've passed. I have already been asked to consider employment from home through one insurance company. They're offering a good salary, they're providing all the equipment, and they don't mind if I take off on Mondays to day trade as long as I get the work done that they send me throughout the week. That's a really good plan, right there. I may wait to see what I can find, but it may be that I decide to make that happen. I'll let you know. If and when that does happen, I can also, if I want to, unless I have to sign a non-compete, work for myself as an independent adjuster, as long as I don't rep anyone with or through the insurance carrier I'm connected to. If I'm captive that's OK, but the insurance company will have to pay me extra for not allowing a side hustle. (It's a win-win really)

    So much fun!! I can't wait. I'm learning the newest version of the program called Xactimate, which is a program many if not most use. It's really very flexible and by all accounts and measures, with all of the new AI macros you can set up, a person can virtually create an estimate in under 10-15 minutes if given the correct measurements and or photos of the proposed loss/damages. I love this. I wish I had thought of doing this 20 years ago, but you know what, I'm OK. I am learning it now. Years ago I was doing adjustments for load and freight. It's not the same, but there are similarities in that there is loss, replacement, restoration, etc.  It's more sophisticated now I suppose, more automated. I mean, it is 2022, so yeah, there's going to be that factor.   The good news is, I can work from HOME and home can be just about anywhere -- including Scotland.

    Think about this too; if I work in Scotland I'll be 6 hours ahead of the employers in the Central Time Zone.  They can email me the information I need, or download it into my account, and while they're sleeping I can work on it and have it ready before they even pour their first cup of coffee to start their day! Win-Win!!  I like this plan. I like this plan a LOT.

Photo Credit: Travel Adventure Everywhere (Blogspot)


No comments: