Thursday, April 21, 2022

Looking For a House!

 OMG, it's been almost a full week since I last blogged - - but, just so you know, it hasn't been all that long since I talked to people and really, that's what matters. I know the title of the blog is "Jude's Almost Daily Blog", but there are just some times (years) I don't write that much online. I mean, its shouldn't be that way. I should keep anyone and everyone in the loop, right? I think I have 55 follows!! Two of you may actually care what's happening, and I think you deserve to know.  Thank you for sticking with me in the thick and in the thin of it. I truly do value anyone who takes the time to read my rantings.

    As the title says, I'm looking for a new house!  I've actually not purchased a house since 1997.  I've been in real estate hell a couple of times. I've tried to buy and couldn't. I've tried to buy and was successful until the boss thought I needed to part ways with the company. That never fares well with the lenders.  I've purchased horses, cars, and other expensive things in the past couple of decades, but not a house. I've been living in a rented apartment most of my adult life because I really don't do lawns. I am not a gardener, I am not going to plant a bunch of flowers and keep them going. I will repair the fences only because I don't want my dogs to escape.  When it comes to yard work there just isn't anything interesting about it to me, so I just don't put myself in that situation. 

    When we lived in Indiana I leased a house with land, 25 acres of land, and we were lucky enough to have enough livestock to keep it trimmed enough to remain in good standing with the city council.  It's amazing what one goat will do to a front garden! The goat was more upset that I wasn't into plants; but he got over it. When it comes to owning a house I think I would rather actually own a condominium so that I'm not doing anything whatsoever outside other than going to the mailbox to pick up my junk mail and petting a stray animal who will soon join the flock.  Maybe you're shaking your head thinking it's fun to dig in the dirt and mow the grass - - good on you! I don't mind making mud pies or throwing horse manure at you, but I don't want to worry about whether or not I need to pluck this or that weed and/or should I think about whether the sprinkler needs to be out overnight. God can decide if the grass needs to be watered. 

    Keeping in mind that I'm looking for a permanent place to roost, it should be noted that I have decided to live in America for the time being, and give up my hopes of retiring in Scotland. One, I'm not retiring, and two, with the way things are going I could be with this company for the long haul (or until Jesus returns) and if they keep their word about me being able to work from anywhere I suppose I could consider splitting my time between just outside Edinburgh and Oklahoma.  I may, I may not. I have a while to consider it. For now, I'm thinking I'll end up in the Greater Oklahoma City Metropolitan area somewhere; probably closer to the University of Oklahoma rather than the University of Central Oklahoma - - if I had to be honest. I love both schools, but yeah, Sooner born. I was (sadly) not Sooner bred. The parents were up in Denver at the time of my conception; God, I'm so happy they moved here!

    For me, and not, not everyone else, a house with only two bedrooms is sufficient. I'm more of a cave-dog than a big-house type. Like I said, a condo would be just fine. I need two bedrooms and one bath, one kitchen, one living area. I don't really need a dining area, so it should not be hard to find a place with a good price. I'm so not picky, if the place needed a few fixes that would be OK too. I'm going to have to insist on a good toilet, a deep bathtub and washer and dryer hook ups, but that's about all I really need. I mean, most houses here have central heating and air, so that's a given. I'd love a storm shelter or basement. The average house in the area I'm looking at now is higher than it was a year ago. It's about $135,000.00 for a 1150 square foot home with 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, and with a one car garage.  In Oklahoma we pay down 3.5% and the interest rate is what it is, but the average payment will be about $725-740.00. I can do that. Craig will be happy wherever we end up, I'm sure.

    I'm so freaking spoiled, I will buy the warranty of course, and any extensions they can offer on the existing appliances and central air system. I would melt if I had to sit in front of a window unit all day. Not sure how my grandparents even survived, but they did. I'm proof of that I suppose.  For the most part I'll be creating a new space just for myself, my animals, and of course Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. They travel with me wherever I go. I'm thinking Mr. Remington may have to make an appearance as well, I'm actually much more confident with a long gun than I am a pistol. I'm really good with the dogs and cats! I'll just throw one or two at the bad guy and head for the next exit if I need to.  The only thing I may actually worry about is that if I live by myself I may not remind myself to blow out my candles. I should practice that now. Laura won't be there to do that. She may still text me to remind me. I can ask her to do that. It's the least she can do for her mom.

    I'll keep you posted as time goes by.  I have to save for the down payment and the closing, but if we can talk the sellers into taking more of a purchase price in lieu of me paying for the closing, I could be looking at a June closing! That makes me happy!  I won't post my address of course, but I don't mind saying in what general vicinity I've landed - - I think I'll probably be close enough to walk to Campus Corner if I was dead honest about it. The prices are great in Norman Town and you can smell and taste victory around every corner! No joke, most people wear the same colors nearly every day, and no one ever gets tired of seeing it - - nope! Boomer Sooner!




Photo Credit: Unknown (Pinterest)


No comments: