Thursday, December 16, 2021

Things to Think About

 Today is December 16, 2021, and I would have been taking the SIE tomorrow except I decided to postpone the exam because I found a guy (Dean Tinney) on YouTube, and he does an AMAZING job at disclosing and discussing the various sections of the SIE Exam.  He goes over every point, and every thing that could be tested. He's awesome! I wanted to have time to go through all of his videos and really let that new wisdom sink in a minute before subjecting myself to testing over it.  That will be Wednesday 12/22/2022, and I think I can say with pretty cool confidence, that Tinney's explanations have really helped me to the point that I believe I can (and will) pass the SIE.

    Today, I also received a message from a great online employer who wanted me to consider working in the insurance and finance world from home. Yes, I'm listening. Go on!  I was struck primarily by how the company's ethics and reputation is really well received. They have several good marks and reports online, so I decided to apply for the open position of "Analyst" and we'll see what happens. It won't be the end-all type job, but just coming off the SIE and needing work for the start of the year, things are looking upward! I can stay home, work in my jammies, and enjoy myself as I lounge about with the dog discussing insurance over the headset. I am not required to be on camera. That's always a plus, even though I don't mind putting on make up and pretending to be wearing professional clothes from the waist up, I can now just talk and talk, and walk around the apartment doing light quiet chores while I discuss a client's needs. I don't have to be tethered to the computer with monitors recording my every move. Sure, my voice will still be recorded, but I don't have to explain why it is that I got up out of my chair to let the dog in from the patio.

    The job doesn't pay as much as a position outside the house, but the perks are amazing! To begin with, I won't have to put up with office gossip and rumors. I am the office. If I decide to talk down on someone else it's only me, and I can handle myself. I don't have to listen to me if I don't want to. I can absolutely ignore myself when called upon to do so. I don't and won't have to worry about being at work on time. I am at work when I roll out of bed. I can get up early enough to make my first cup of coffee, write in my journal, take the dog out, chit-chat with the neighbors who happen to be hovering around my door, and then go back inside and work! I love that. I won't be able to "move up the ladder" to the point of getting a corner office, but my office is just fine. I have enough room to dance, box, spin around and do squats, and if I want to, I can lift weights and do pilates while I sign someone up for a new variable annuity. I am THAT talented. This is gonna be cool.

    The best thing about working from home, and soon, working by myself since I'll be moving out on my own and dumping the little one - - is that I can cook, bake, clean, pay bills, exercise, walk the dog, write out notes to friends and family, shop online, and work at the same time. About the only thing I can't do on work time is listen to music because I'll be listening to clients, but it's all good. I get off at 4:00 p.m. and have the evening to enjoy my Celtic folk tunes. I am not going to get rich with this new position, but I will have a great time relaxing, living my own life, and not worrying about making ends meet, disciplining anyone, arguing with staff or administration, being bullied by co-workers, feeling like I am being watched all the time, and I won't have to worry about anyone taking my lunch or snacks out of the company frig! (Except when Laura makes her way over to my place, then yeah, I have to worry about that.)

    Since Reuben is taking over the payments of my car this coming month, and Laura and I are sharing her car because we can, I will be saving even more money and I won't have to drive back and forth in nasty traffic or when the sun hasn't woken up. I will be HOME!  To celebrate my new adventures I think I'll go out and buy myself a new convection oven so I don't have to spend as much time and money cooking in a conventional oven. Heck, it's just me. I'll have the air-fryer and the new convection toaster oven - - (and microwave) so I'll be super happy and efficient as well. Can't beat that.  I often ask myself if I will miss teaching and then I stop myself and say no. No, I will not miss teaching. I thought I would, but the profession is NOT what it was years ago when I started. People don't treat people with professional distinction with the respect they actually deserve. If they did we wouldn't have so many lower paid teachers walking out and deciding to work from home.  I will miss the kids, but I won't miss the job. Isn't it always that way? Kids are kids. You can't hate on them. 

    So, new life, new journey, new chapters, new visions, new everything - - new apartment, new ways to eat, cook, clean, survive and thrive.  One thing that I did for myself was to buy a big exercise pilates ball that sits on a stand. I use it as an office chair. I have really been working my butt, thighs and calves with it, and let me tell you; my knees don't ache as much either. It's really helped with posture, weight, balance, the whole works. Do it if you can. Check with your doctor first, of course. Make sure you're allowed to have this much fun. Be happy in your choices and do what you love to do. When you wake up in the morning and GET to go to work it's so much better than when you HAVE to go.

Photo Credit: Gaiam


No comments: