Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The Murder Book : (It's Taking Shape)

         You may not know this, but I'm an author. I am a writer. It's what I do. I write. The "Sex Book" as my daughter calls it, has been written, it's been gone through 10 times, and will be gone through ONE MORE TIME before I send it off to the publisher. I am in the middle of a discussion/argument over the cover right now, so there's that. I am not happy, and if you know me, you know I don't do inconvenience very well. I am probably the first person who will snap at you if I'm inconvenienced, but luckily for everyone I was born and raised in the South, so I try to smile through it and make the person realize they've pushed me too far before I actually stand there blankly staring at them without saying anything - - that's when hell breaks loose. If you know your Southern women, you know that. As long as you can make her talk, you'll survive another day. 

    After the Historical Romance book, which is what I call the Sex Book, I will write the Murder Book. The really cool title for the Murder Book is; wait for it, The Murder Book! Yes, it's so classic, I know, right?  I'm actually in the thick of it now. I have a green notebook, I'll show you, and I'm writing the notes in it that will become the written notes, which will become my paragraph guidelines. The paragraphs then get put into chapters, which are later organized into chronological order, unless I'm using flashbacks.  It could happen.  I write from the ground up, and keep it as organic as I possibly can. 

    Today, I was working out at the YMCA here in OKC, and I asked the manager Sherry, a lady about my age, African American, tall, quite pretty, and active if she wanted to be in the book. She said she did. She and I worked out her role. Now, the book takes place in Oklahoma City, Chicago, and Edinburgh, Scotland. Sherry will be a manager of a fitness center, a YMCA in 1929 in Oklahoma City...as a BLACK WOMAN, can you believe it? She will be so progressive, and so talked about, both good and bad. The man who dies was a co-worker. He was a bigot, a racist, and a narcissistic bastard, and those were his good points. Sherry was NOT upset that he was dead, but she did inform the police of all she knew. She just didn't tell them what she had heard or seen. You can't believe half of what you hear you know, and most of what you see, so when she informed the police, she did so in a very minimal way.

    For me, it's never about the murder, but about the disposal of the body. We'll have three murders, or at least 3 attempted murders. One will survive, I won't tell you which one, but it wasn't the guy in Oklahoma. He died. He was dead the minute he stepped foot onto the ranch. He was and will be enjoyed for years to come by various fish species in and around the greater metropolitan area of Oklahoma. I won't give much more away, you'll have to read the book. I have to write it first, but I'm on my way!! This is gonna be fun.

    This is the first novel in the Nick Posh series. Nick was born in Scotland, his family moved to the U.S. when he was a boy, as his dad was U.S. Army. He has dual citizenship. He broke the OKC case and was loaned out to Chicago Police to help with one of their cases. This case leads to one in Edinburgh, and that's where it gets really good - - love me some Greyfriar Kirkyard shenanigans. It will happen. We'll go up on top of Arthur's Seat, through the wynds of High Street, across the tailored lawns and gardens of Holyrood Palace, and even make an appearance at Hogmanay up under the Castle Rock!  So many things to do, and so many places to visit, and we can't do it without finding out a few interesting facts about my favorite city of all time; Edinburgh.

    So sit back, rest, and relax, you'll be invited to curl up with my good book, and find your way through the herringbone cobbled streets of one of Europe's most incredible cities; Auld Reekie. I'll explain later.

Photo Credit: Me

No comments: