Saturday, February 11, 2023

EDITORS and READERS of my BOOK - - PLEASE READ THIS BLOG.

 So, this is a blog for the 10-12 people who I have sent the book for the purpose of reading through it.  I can't remember which version each of you has, so in a few days, I will resend all of you the newest PDF version which will have new corrections.  If you are writing your corrections down on a piece of paper or something, you can go back over the new PDF to see if those corrections have been made.  Leti (my REALLY good friend) is going over it with a fine-toothed comb. She pointed out 100 things I missed.  THANK YOU LETI!!!

    I went through the entire book today and where there was a blue underlining (I can see it so I assume you can if you're reading it in WORD) I realized that these were mostly places where I had missed a comma or a word was needed to make it sound better.  Some of the time, however, this was not the case, as the computer didn't recognize my attempt at writing in Scots.  I can't correct the spelling for those words and oftentimes it seems to the program that I need a comma or another letter to complete the word. These words will remain spelled the way they are spelled. I did, however, use the word "wad" for "what" and that's not the correct word to use. The word "would" is spelled "wad" in Scots.  Geez...one would think I would know that! LOL. I don't have to worry about Jeannie making any corrections to the Scots words...she will likely just skip over them and later ask me what I meant. Tony and David, this one is more of your expertise for sure.

    To say this book has been a blast to write is an understatement. I'm learning so much about myself as a writer, but also just the process of editing my own mistakes. You can't do it really.  You need to have others read through it to find the mistakes because you tend to glaze right over your own mistakes. I know I do. I'm realizing now, that after I have walked away and come back several days later, I can see the mistakes much more clearly.  I will not get them all.  I'll still rely on you guys and then after I've made all of your corrections, and my own, I will submit to an editor for another round of viewing; this time using their professional programs. 

    In about a week I will send all of you the revised book to go back over if you want, but keep in mind when the real book comes out I will send each of you a copy for having helped. I will also thank you in the thank you section. If you'll give me one of your favorite words I'll be sure and acknowledge that as well in the acknowledge section. It's where I get to have fun with the audience and say weird things that other authors would never say.  I'm thanking people for suggesting words. It doesn't matter how odd the word is, if I use it in the book, which I will find a way to do so, I will give you credit for suggesting the word.  

    OK, so that's about it. I'm just laughing at myself for the 189,998, 492 mistakes I've made so far. The silver lining of all of this is, I wrote a freaking novel in just under a month's time.  It'll take that long to correct it, but yeah, I wrote a freaking novel in just under a month!! Woo Hoo!! THANK YOU ALL for your help, and I really really mean that.


Photo Credit: ryanavery.com


No comments: