Wednesday, December 23, 2020

It May be a Southern Thang.

 You know how you go to the store and a man will open up the door for you? (I mean, that is of course, if the door isn't an electric door) You start to approach the door and you see a man about to walk away from it, but then he turns and gives you a little nod just before he reaches out to pull the handle on the door to let you inside - - it may very well be a lost form of masculinity, but one this Southern girl dearly appreciates.  I was walking through the parking lot of our local grocery store just this morning with one of God's best creations. When I say that God really out did Himself on this one, I do mean it.  I was walking through the parking lot with my son Reuben who, by the way, was raised by a good Christian Southern woman who was also herself raised by a good Christian Southern woman, WHO, in case you were wondering, was raised by a good Christian Southern woman!  I'm talking to my son when I realized I was talking to myself, he was NO WHERE to be seen.  I glance around and finally found him; he had literally sprinted ahead of me to get the door not only for me, but for the two ladies who were arriving just before I was about to step into the doorway.  The smile on my face!  You could have seen it a mile away and around a bend!  The two ladies did their part too; they gave a giggle and a nod to my gallant son and of course they smiled at me too because they KNOW where he learned his good manners.

I tend to brag on my son's good looks more often I suppose than I do my two daughters.  I can't help myself, he's taller, rugged and the soldier mentality of his just oozes toxic masculinity, something I am absolutely a fan of -- no Metro pansy boys for me, thank you very much. Give me a man every single time!  My daughters are gorgeous of course, but in very different ways. Funny how you can have two kids from the same two parents and just 14 months apart, but they come out looking so very different from one another, and boy howdy, did they ever turn out different in their ways, means, emotions, attitudes and behaviors. You can't get more day and night than you do with Laura and Caity, that's for damn sure. It may be another Southern thang, but I do say "boy howdy" and "that's for damn sure" now again.

Laura, my introverted, somewhat shy-to-speak-to-humans type is 31 years old and really she doesn't date anyone. It may be because she's always got a horse in her hands or it could be because she's rather observant and has noticed that most of her friends have already started on their 2nd marriage, they have kids strung out across the nation, and they tend to get all gussied up for someone who only wants to use and abuse them  - her assessment of the situation anyway.  It could also be because she's just not social really, and being at the barn is going to be the best place a man (who also owns horses) will ever catch her attention. She doesn't take selfies, she's not into make up other than when she cos-plays or does online animation videos and Tik Toks.  She's a gamer, a streamer, has thousands of "followers" but only 2 actual friends. She's really pretty in a natural way, but very few actually SEE that.

Caity - - let's see, how do we describe Caity Baby? I'd say a loaded firecracker as opposed to one that has already been set off. She's full (and I do mean FULL) of energy and surprises. She's drop dead gorgeous in the most usual and commonly acceptable way, and she knows it. She literally tells herself every day how pretty she is, and she won't allow anyone to treat her less than the queenly manner in which she has grown accustomed to.  She is a Leo by zodiac, perhaps that matters. (Laura is a Taurus, quite stubborn and bullheaded) Caity is also an exhibitionist - - EVERYONE will see how she looks either with or without clothes, and she really doesn't give a damn what they may say or think about it. She's quite pleased with herself and who she is, therefore she's her own woman...again, it may very well be a Southern Thang.  Both girls are Christians, solid believers in Christ, but we do say that Caity will be the one flipping the Devil off on the way to Glory.

Being born a Baptist wasn't a bad thing either - - in my opinion everyone should be a Baptist for about 10-12 years and get the benefit of learning every tiny detail about every single story in the Bible. Then when they reach the age of accountability they need to read the Word from their own point of view and do their meditation, prayer, and seeking of God's will -- that is NOT a Southern thang, but a Gospel thang.  I'm so very grateful my Lord decided to set me in the great Southwestern state of Oklahoma; perhaps I would have preferred to be born in the Lowlands of Scotland bordering England, but we'll never know - - I have a twang, not a drawl, and certainly not a brogue.  It's a Southern Thang.







No comments: