Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Don't Tell Me No.

 If you know me, then you know me. If you're just reading this blog for the first time, or maybe you've read a few of the blogs, and you think you may have a sort of kind of grip on who it is that I am, please, let me be the first to step up to the plate and show you EXACTLY who it is that you're dealing me. It just makes it so much easier to cut through the muck, and show my true colors at the get-go.  I am an ENTJ on the Meyers Briggs scale. That means I'm an openly honest, upfront, direct decision maker who won't consider let alone tolerate anyone telling me that the sky isn't blue. I know it's blue. I have eyes to see, the damn thing is blue. Move forward.  Because of my ENTJ-ness, I will move the world for you if you need it to be moved. If you've earned my trust, there is no problem with me deciding to take you to the goal you wish to achieve.

     I am also born under the sign of Scorpio, and as a Christian that may seen odd to hear that I admit that, but God made the stars didn't He? They have a story to tell, and Scorpio is part of that story. We're skeptical by  nature, but we're cunning, clever, charming, and mysterious at the same time. We're stubborn because we have our own agenda and fitting into yours won't do. I am also born in the Chinese year of the Ox. I'm not going to pretend that the Chinese zodiac is a good thing, it's probably not, and though I hate to admit that the traits of the Ox do in fact size me up to a tee, it's true, I am Earthy, dependable, thoughtful, trustworthy, but if you cross me, you'll find me to be both bullheaded and unmovable. I will not do a damn thing for you if you lose my trust.

    OK, now that you know who it that you're listening to and reading from, let me say this, I am so very easy to get along with until someone makes the mistake of lying to me, or someone makes the mistake to not search out the full truth when I've asked a question, but instead (probably due to their ineptness of being capable of putting forth an effort or giving a damn) they decide to half-heart the answer and just say what they want to say hoping it will suffice and I'll go away. I don't go away. That's the other thing; if I decide to be there, I'm there. It's best you handle me with truth and be as direct as you may need to be, but yeah, I'm not moving. I chose to be there. You're welcome. I may just be the one you need to get whatever the heck you need done - - done. That's the stubborn, mule-headed, unshakeable, obstinate, OK, we'll say it, that's the ornery in me. (It comes natural if you've ever met my mom or her dad.)

    Today I had the opportunity and the personal challenge to put my innate contumaciousness to work! Someone, a person who thought I would just simply accept her answer because she was a hiring recruiter and I was looking for a career with her firm, told me that I needed to be sponsored in order to take the Series 66 FINRA exam in order to further my desires of being a financial advisor. I know differently, and I said so. She argued with me. (Hint: never argue with me. If you're going to argue with me, at least know this; I never get into a discussion that could be argued if I don't already have the thing wrapped with a bow!) That was dumb. I was right, I collected the Google info for her, emailed her and let her know I knew. She then, out of either sheer ignorance or anger, wrote to me to say that the firm would not consider me for a future role, and that I could and should look elsewhere for employment. Don't .... do not...tell me no. Not when I know the answer is yes.

    I decided to stick to my plan, to be a thorn in her side, and to force her to see that she was not dealing with a would be snowflake who was born just a few decades back; I'm super old, and because of that experience, I know that being a "Karen" has it's advantages from time to time. This was one of those times.  Yes, she was the recruiter, she was the one standing between myself and the hiring manager who is in my actual city, and available to me if I should, oh, I don't know, GO DROP IN ON HIM.  

    I dropped in on him. I let him know I was applying for the position, that I would be continuing to take the next steps towards my licensure (Series 66), that I wasn't expecting him to sponsor me, but after I pass it, because I have been licensed to sell insurance since 1983, and have my SIE, I would like a face to face interview. I explained that  his recruiter didn't appreciate being schooled, but I wasn't going to let her stop me from pursuing my career goals -- he laughed.  He said, "Damn, you remind me of me! I did that too. I had to come in here and shake the manager's hand about 14 years ago when the company said they didn't think I'd be a good fit."  He liked that I had the guts and the willpower to knock on the door of opportunity rather than being content to be hustled. 

    Was it rude of me to point out the obvious to the little-miss? Maybe. She has earned her position, and she had rules to follow, the problem is, and this is too basic not to know, you don't tell someone a half-baked answer when you know it's not the full truth. There are those that will let you bully them, and then there are those of us who are bulls or oxen ourselves (not bullies), and we'll hook horns with you on the spot! I'll get my hands dirty. I'll Google. I'll do the due diligence I need to load up on whatever "ammunition" is necessary to blow the doors off your story -- if I want in that door I'm either using the key or knocking it down. I'd prefer to use the key. I'm really very helpful and very easy to get along with. I'll take you and your goals to the limit or I'll dig you a hole so deep you'll never climb out of it if you try and lie to me. It is what it is. Don't try. Second chances don't usually happen with me. I assume you know that before we even meet. 

    Better stated, just tell the truth to me. Always tell the truth. I can spot a lie and I can dig through one so easily. If a challenge does arise in the middle of my digging - - well, there's a reason I like Dachshunds over German Shepherds. A Shepherd of any breed will help you, take you to the next level, guide you, show you the way, and hope the best for you -- that little weenie dog, on the other hand, will dig and dig, nose to the ground, ears widely open, hearing every last thing you said, but finding the end of whatever it is you were trying to hide - - and yeah, I think I'm 10 feet tall too, another Dachshund thing. Talk about nailing a description in an analogy - - Yeah, the Dachshund makes a whole lot of sense when you think about who I am or may turn out to be. Best friend no doubt, and I may look sweet and friendly, maybe even be a bit of a clown; but I will bite you hard in the ass if you turn your back too quickly. 

Photo Credit: Dachshund Joy



No comments: