Sunday, February 22, 2009

Joe and Jane Fiber


The average (Joe and/or Jane) American gets about 10 grams of fiber a day and they need to be eating (or ingesting) upward of 25 grams per day in order to keep their average (Joe and/or Jane) bowels working properly. This is the information I am receiving from several internet medical sites as well as confirming it with my own doctor.

At first I thought eating that much fiber would be hard but now I find myself eating over 25 grams of fiber in one meal at times. Let me show you how easy it is to really get the fiber you need if you're serious about being healthy that is. A slice of double fiber multi-grain bread has 5 grams of fiber, so if you eat a sandwich using two slices you're almost half way there. I made myself a peanut butter and raw honey sandwich today and added flax seed meal to the peanut butter. Flax seed meal has 3 grams of fiber for 1 tablespoon. Mixing it with the peanut butter makes sense taste wise and it's easy to do. Raw honey has no dietary fiber but the liquid fiber I poured into my water does. It's tasteless and odorless -- OK, it's expensive too, but you don't have to buy soft drinks anymore now do you? Couple that with what I save on buying meat since I don't eat it anymore, and there you go - - I'm fibered up and hopefully losing the fat that took me YEARS to accumulate.

Just because I can, I eat a couple of dried plums (prunes) and that adds another 2 fibers. So, let's add it up. 10 for the bread, 6 for the peanut butter, 3 for the flax seal meal, and 4 for the liquid fiber. That's 23, oh, and the prunes makes it 25! WOW....what a meal. Easy to make, easy to clean up, if you just fold over a napkin rather than using a plate you're even able to get away with not washing dishes - - except the knife I guess. You should wash the knife. I forgot to tell you I was drinking bottled water with either green tea or some sort of joint supplement in it - - I'm telling you - - this being healthy isn't the easiest thing, but it's the best thing. My daughter is laying sick on the couch behind me and I think out loud to her that she missed a few fiber days and she missed a lot of vitamin taking days. I don't know the last time I saw her walk a mile - - now, if I could only make my face look like hers, my hips rolls like hers, and my jeans fit like hers and I would be set! (She can keep the flu thing. I don't want it.)

This morning I was juicing a couple of apples, a cup of cranberries and a cup of grapes for breakfast when the thought hit me; there's not much time left before spring is here and then summer - - I have this stupid weight to manage and get under control and here she is eating like a horse, hardly ever exercising, and she doesn't drink nearly the amount of water she should - - Youth is wasted on the YOUNG! I would SO MUCH more appreciate it than she does. Oh well, I played in the sun a little too much in the 80's. I remember. (Thank you Mr. Kodak, and Mr. Eastman)

No comments: