Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Gifts God Gave Us.

 You know, having the courts literally order me to take a personality test in 1997 wasn't really a bad thing. It was actually the first time I realized, in an official capacity, that I had been gifted by God with the spiritual gift of Discernment. I think the courts called it "logic based intuition".  The Apostle Paul speaks about the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:10 when he said:  "He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit."  Well, it's not JUST being able to tell the difference between whether or not a message is being given by the Holy Spirit or an evil being, it is also being able to read body language, eye movement, handwriting, and other sure signs of a very physical nature to determine if someone is lying, telling the truth, needs a hug, is keeping a secret, and/or just unsettled. Teachers do this sort of discerning all the time - - it's innate. We (teachers) hone in our our students and their movements so we can better help them in their journey. At least, I'll say this, the good teachers do this.

God gives gifts to everyone but not everyone pays attention to what they have, and not everyone has been given the same gifts (obviously). One gift God did NOT give me was the gift of being subtle or tactful; it's just not really there, nor do I think I can really fake it til I make it on that one. I am who I am, I am a bit forward at times, always direct, and most of the time I'm blunt. At least no one has to wonder if I'm mad or upset with them because they will know immediately. I can hold it together in terms of exploding expression, but I will be vocal and they will have their ears filled with what usually equates to a Southern woman's fast-talking rant with about 10 football analogies to explain exactly how it is that I'm about to take control of the entire situation and cram that last biscuit down someone's throat using a hot cattle prod if I have to. There are times when I'm less animated, but those times are few and far between when my feathers get in a twist. 

DISCERNMENT can take the shape of being able to tell you what your weird nonsense dream was about; it can look a hell of a lot like me asking you incredibly personal questions out of the blue without any warning and that's because discernment hits me as hard as my questions may hit you! I don't get a warning when something is revealed to me. I don't have a bell or whistle go off alerting me to be on the look out for signs and clues - - NOPE, it just is what it is, and I see it, I know it, I feel it, I'm made aware of it, and I discern it. I'm rarely ever wrong, and I should probably try to find a way to hold my heart and tongue back a minute to go over what it is that I just realized. It could mean the difference between me making sense and me seeming to be less invasive; most of time it really seems that I'm just being invasive. I can accept this because I would also give a side-eye to someone I don't know asking me personal questions based on a 5 second video they saw on Instagram or Facebook. (Based on a true story folks, that just happened today, and I realized I needed to explain myself.)  It's hard to explain how it is that you KNOW something about someone - - it really really is difficult to know myself. I just have to trust that God is leading me in the direction I tend to go when I realize someone may need help.  I make myself available when He asks me to do it. I don't make the decision on my own, not usually. I tend to wait on His instruction. It just works out better for me when I do. It's that whole "lean not unto your own understanding" thing.

I don't play guitar. I can't play guitar. I've picked them up, messed around with them, and even begged my fingers to pay attention to my brain, but I don't play guitar. I can't draw to save my life, and the only reason I got out of pottery class is because I had my 8 year daughter throw all of my required 6-10" pots for me.  She has talents. I have Discernment. I knew what she was going to do before she did it, at least there's that! I really was a pretty good parent when it came to LOGICALLY being INTUITIVE about my kids and their behavior.  We all have talents, we all have gifts, we all have hidden things inside of us pushing us to be better and to do more for others. We just need to be able and ready to listen to both ourselves and others when they are actually reaching out to help - - if they are really trying to reach out and help that is. We do need to use wisdom and be careful not to trust just anyone who claims to be able to read your body language and know you may be unsettled at the moment. Judgement is a good gift to have as well. 

There, that's it. That's all I wanted to say. I'm off the soapbox and going back to the den to beat the crap out of my punching bag. I'm getting so much better at it - - I can almost say I know what I'm doing. Exercising is a chore, but one I look forward to with, well, with discernment! I know it is a good thing and I intend to make it a balanced part of my life. God bless!



No comments: