Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Mama Needs a New Dress!

 Here's the thing: I am so not a girly-girl. I was born with a fishing rod in one hand and a snail in the other. I wore out the knees of my jeans before the first week and basically had to cut them off since my mom couldn't find big enough iron-on patches to cover them; plus, it looked funny.  I didn't wear shoes (and still don't) unless I was going to church. I know there were signs in the stores suggesting I should have them, but until someone was brave enough to come up to me and ask me to leave, I went into those stores barefoot. It's just who I was.

    Today, I wear shoes when I go to the stores. I have evolved. However, the second I get home, those barefoot shoes (flat and wide) come off, and I'm sock-footed from the moment I get out of the shower in the morning until the moment I lay down to sleep at night. I prefer thicker socks even in the summer because I don't like the way thin socks feel - they're not real socks. It's another quirk I have.

    Dresses, especially girly dresses, are not my thing. I didn't like them when I was four, and I don't like them now. I say I don't like them now, but I think I may! I think I've found a really good reason to like them now that I'm old, fat, and stay home 93% of the time. I did the mental math - which includes attire, apparently. If I get up in the morning and shower, and all I have to put on is my undergarments and a light sleeveless dress (and socks), I don't have to worry about T-shirts that are a little snug or lounge pants that individually cover each leg - covering them to the point that I get hot. (It's 100 degrees outside, and even though it's 70 degrees inside, my legs still get hot.)

    The reason I can't wear shorts is twofold: one reason is I have a Chihuahua that scratches me constantly to remind me that he loves me and needs help getting onto my lap. The 2nd reason is that my faux-leather office chair would stick to my legs, and I really don't want that. However, I told you I did the mental math!! If I buy myself sundresses, I eliminate the fear of being mauled by the Chihuahua, and my legs won't stick, with the added bonus that they won't get hot -- and another added bonus, my bestie can gloat and say I've come over to her side of the world - she, unlike me, is a bona fide 100% girly-girl.

    Laura and I were in Walmart the other day, and I saw a few dresses that were not only well-priced, possibly because we're nearing the end of summer, but they were also cute. They had open collars, wider straps at the top, and came down below the knee, which is non-negotiable when it comes to my legs and the dog's gratitude for my existence. I could try to stave off the animal, but in the real world, it's never going to change, so I live with the hand I've been dealt.

    So yes, I bought two dresses today. I didn't buy those at Walmart, though. I bought them online at Amazon because I had a credit from taking back something else, and after all was said and done, I bought two really nice maxi sundresses for $23.00. That's not a bad thing - not in this day and age.  $11.50 per dress and free delivery tomorrow. If I really like them, I can see myself buying a few more and when sweats season rolls around I can give them up for onesies and long pants again -- I won't mind if my legs get warm when it's negative 10 outside even if it is 68 inside.

    There you have it - my life has changed. I am turning into one of those old women, but at least I'm cute, and I can still sit cross-legged in my chair without any fuss.  I have to sit cross-legged or else the Chihuahua wouldn't be able to sleep in my lap most of my workday - we have priorities in our house.


Photo Credit: Me.  (This is Kiba. He's Laura's service dog, but he sleeps in my lap most of the day.)

No comments: