Saturday, September 21, 2024

Meet Mervin! (The Perfect Pet)

 My daughter Laura had just returned her newest bearded dragon to PetCo because it wasn't doing well. She had adopted it about three weeks ago, and over that time, we took the little thing back twice for an obvious respiratory issue.  I told her, and others have, too, that pet store chains such as PetSmart and PetCo don't usually have better animals; there are rumors about some of their vendors. I know I've had a couple of leopard geckos I've had to take back, and recently I returned a ball python, but not for illness. I just realized I wouldn't give her the attention she needed.

    When Laura took the dragon back, I knew she'd want to go to the more respectable pet and reptile store here in Oklahoma City with an excellent reputation; Exotic Pets on May Ave. They have a better track record of knowing exactly where their animals come from, and though it's not perfect, they try harder, and they have better-looking, healthier, and usually more vibrant animals to choose from. We went there - - Laura went through about ten different bearded dragons before choosing the leather-back lighter colored one; I was hoping she'd go for the brighter yellow and orange one that gave me the eye the entire time we were in the store.

    So, there I was, in the middle of the reptile store, a place I could stay in for a very long time. Something caught my eye and I immediately grabbed it -- I took it into my hands and decided right then, and right there, that no matter what it cost (I knew it wouldn't be too expensive)  I was going to take that puppy home with me - - it wasn't a puppy. I just call things puppies when they aren't actually puppies.  I saw a green, fully-grown Komodo dragon! MINE! That's right....I picked it up with one hand, knowing he would go home with me.

    I even had a name picked out for the guy—Mervin. I named him after the very patient and helpful (U.S. Army soldier) who helped us with Laura's bearded dragon decision. He told me that the Komodo dragon I held in my hands was the perfect pet—and he is. He was also only $10.99, and though he is 100% hard rubber-plastic, he is exactly what I need to sit on my mousepad to keep me and the wireless mouse company. He is amazing! 

    While I waited for Laura to pull out her credit card and buy Mervin for me, I found my right hand unoccupied. I decided to stick it wrist deep into a big bowl of blue-horned worms at the front of the store to entertain folks and give them something to look at and talk about. I asked permission before I picked them up, but you haven't lived until you let fifty to sixty big fat sticky-footed worms crawl all over your hand while you wait for someone you love to pay for the Komodo dragon in your other hand. That was my day.

    Mervin came home with me, He's now sitting on the mouse pad just giving me the eye like the live lizard did. He's not really hungry, but to make sure, I did offer him a french fry. He declined. He's very quiet, too; in fact, he's not made a sound since I brought him home. I guess he will be one of the best things I've ever let someone else spend money on. Don't think I'm all that bad, OK? I bought Laura's lunch in return for her generosity. It was the least I could do. 

    I wanted to take home a handful of blue-horned worms, but Laura wouldn't let me - - who raised her? I still can't figure out her problem; she's never been interested in millipedes or spiders, either. At least I managed to get her to wrap her mind around reptiles - I have that going for me.




Photo Credit: Me.

No comments: