Monday, March 26, 2007

Cheaper than Cocaine - Maybe


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OK, so yes - I'm addicted. It has to be the first step to the beginning of my recovery. Wait - I don't want to recover. I like what I do. I love who I am. If coffee keeps me at this pace, at this place - bring it.
It is true, I have become a coffee snob - but if Starbucks wasn't so dang good I wouldn't be. I have gone way out of my way to make sure that I like Starbucks better than any other brand. When I visit the Newark airport I find that if I don't get my Starbucks before entering, I can do Seattle's Best - as long as I'm in New York City (close enough) - I wouldnt' want to try drinking something else in a lesser location.
We took a trip to Seattle to see a million soldiers and we did...but I made sure the manager of the PX understood that just because I wasn't being PAID to show up and entertain the troops (famous dog) that he had better be fast and ready with the little white cup and green orbed mermaid....I work cheaply yes, but you DO HAVE TO PAY....3 Starbucks a day. That's my going rate, and I'm actually thinking of raising it since I dropped the Quad-Shot down to a Triple. What do you think? Fair?
I've been to about 200 Starbucks, give or take. I have business cards from most of them but I discovered in the Orlando airport that airport Starbucks don't have business cards. Dallas doesn't, I know that - I haven't been to Fairbanks yet - do they even have a Starbucks in Fairbanks? Is my son Starbuckless? Thinking about this just now makes me sad. Really sad. Must pick up the phone - must call the boy - must make sure he's able to function --- No, that's me, nevermind. He's H2O.
Yeah, coffee - even Starbucks is still cheaper than cocaine. I think it's just as effective - it's legal - probably even at the doses I take daily, and it's hot most of the time. I haven't completely fallen under the spell of the iced or frozen drink just yet - I'm sure I will - it's part of the marketing plan I'm sure, but as it stands I am just a regular addict - not quite pathetic, and get this: Last week...I went 2 days without coffee. Well, 40 hours, almost 2 days. It wasn't worth it.
I've said it before, but Starbucks makes me think - and when I think I'm alive - dangerously alive, and I like that. I create so much better on my 2nd or 3rd cup...maybe a loud stereo blasting out CCR, Step, maybe ELO and a little Kansas .... yes....yes...the memories of Steve Walsh thumping around stage in his little red short shorts....give me a minute - - - - Wow, 1979. 1980. 1981. 1982. STYX....damn...I forgot about that one. Pour me another cup, I have to get to the section of my brain with John Waite of the Babies screaming at me for not knowing who he was - Hahahaha...if coffee brings back these types of memories, should we be testing it for memory loss? (Was that Queen? Wow....Burbank '83)

No comments: