Friday, January 20, 2017

Nothin's Kickin' My Butt Yet.

January 16, 2017, just about 5 days (if you include the 16th) I began the Paleo Diet. Some people call it the Caveman Diet, it's where you're allowed all the animal proteins such as steak, chicken, eggs, lamb, ground lean beef, bacon, pork chops, ham, and of course fish of any kind.  I don't think crustaceans are on the "allowed" list.  You can eat veggies, fruits, nuts, and all the dark chocolate you want (less sugar) and yes, my favorite, coffee.  Now, I will have to be honest with you, I cheat ever so slightly on the no dairy rule. I do allow myself about 2 tablespoons of half-and-half in the mornings for my coffee, but after that, I'm good.  Five days without bread!  Five days without cereal! Five days without binging on sugar and carbs while I type at this very same computer!  I'm not lying, I would have a stack of gummi bears, potato chips, maybe a big canister of party peanuts...chomp, chomp, chomp, all night long. I'm fat, I mean, I'm 190 pounds at 5'6", but I'm not grotesque.  All that changes!  I've already started feeling more energetic and I'm only five (5) days into it. WOW. Imagine what 30 will do!

I went to my kitchen cabinets and looked through them. Did I surprise myself? No, I was the one that bought all the crap I bought before January 16. I was the one driving to the store, parking my car, walking into the store, pulling out a cart, filling it up with things that were never good for me, and going to the cashier to pay good hard-earned money to hurt my body. No body stopped me. Why would they stop me? I'm an American, I'm an adult, I can buy whatever I want. That's the fact...I can buy whatever I want. So, why not buy what I should be buying, and eat what I should be eating, and do what I should be doing, and get off this fat butt of mine, and lose not only weight, but several inches in the process?  That's exactly what I'm doing now! (Thank you very much) 😊

(I just found the emoji feature on this blog forum. That changes so much.)

Alright, so there I am standing at the cabinets in my kitchen. Open doors 1 & 2.  I see candy, lots of it too. Christmas candy that was bought on sale less than a month ago, and I went wild with it. I bought so much of it. It's as if I thought I had to. I don't even know why I did it unless I use the reasonable somewhat acceptable excuse that it was on sale, and hey, it's good to have a little sugar in the house. Well, I gave it to the ladies in the office at the school where I teach. They didn't have the same convictions as I did, not yet, they're holding out to see how I do on the Paleo before making any long term commitments. I don't blame them. I was exactly the same way. People have been talking about this diet for years, but I've held off, thinking it would be impossible to drop breads. It isn't.

Open doors 3 & 4.  Though doors 1 & 2 had more than just candy, there wasn't much in them other than cookies, packaged treats, boxed pastries like Pop Tarts and Keeblers. I don't know about you, but I don't need that now. I don't, and I won't, so that's that. I have to get fed up with it, and when I do, I step all over it.   Doors 3 & 4 had all the other bad things that are white: pasta, rice, wheat flour, sugar, bread...even if it is 9 grain bread, it's bread, and it has grains; nine in fact.  When you can't have any grain on a diet, 9 is 9 too many.  No more pasta, (5 boxes of various types) no more rice (2 packages, 3 boxes) and no more grain whatsoever..there goes the tortillas, the loaves, and the boxes of cornbread mix, muffin mix, brownie mix, and cake mix.  I am dumbfounded by how many boxes of grain and sugar filled things I had in my house just lurking and waiting on my hands to pull them out of their tombs; they were given to the neighbor.  She likes stuff like that, most people do.

Cabinet 5 had nothing but beans! I must have had every damn bean in that thing.  Pork and beans, black beans, kidney beans, charro beans, chili beans, red beans, even a can of black eyed peas I was thinking about eating at New Years. GONE.  Oh, you say what? Yes, and the peanut butter, Nutella and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter...GONE. Heartless woman that I am, I am no longer buying cheese, milk, dairy creamer, sour cream, whipped cream, cream cheese spreads or fake butter.  What in the world will I eat?  Good stuff.

I can have bread, just not breads made out of grain. I can make it at home, in a bread maker, or in a loaf pan. I can use almond flour, tapioca flour, even coconut flour. I will buy raw cider vinegar, no yeast, baking soda, eggs, and sea salt.  If I want flavor I can add vanilla, bananas, nuts, zucchini, and other stuff. Who needs grain? Dogs don't need it; all the best dog foods are all grain free. You feed cows and pigs corn and other grains to fatten them up for slaughter. You feed chickens corn to fatten them up too. Why would I want to do that to myself? I have for sooooo very long, and I simply won't do it to myself another day. Nope!  I kick my own butt, I don't need food to do it for me.

Shopping list:  Well, it's too long to record here, but go up and down the produce aisle in your mind. Go up and down the meat aisles. Go up and down the seeds and nuts bulk aisle. I'll buy raisins, dark chocolate, and like I said, I can have a little sugar, but if I can use Stevia I'll do that.  It's a big big change, but it's one that is long in the making. I should have done this 10 years ago or more. I tend to be a bit stubborn when it comes to being hard on myself, but believe me, I'm doing this for me. I want to work that horse, ride him soon without feeling fat and unbalanced. I want more energy to ride longer and stay at the barn longer. I want to be able to say yes more than I have in the past when someone asks me if I'm feeling good...yes, I'm feeling great now.  Five days in and two pounds down, but there's so much more to come off. I want to lose 40 pounds all together.

When I meet the goal I'll have a little ice cream. I'll have a little celebration, or perhaps a bit of a cheat. There's just no reason to do that now. I don't want to ruin what I've got going.  There's no one else to kick my butt but me....and I'm good at it.

No comments: