Monday, March 3, 2008

Supplements - When and Where

To look at the corner of my kitchen, just to the left of my frig, you're going to find a little stand with about 20 different little bottles all claiming that their contents are perfect! My name is Jude (she says as she stands up) and I am a supplement addict.

It started when I was little and I used to steal from my mom's Ayds canister. I don't know if you remember Ayds or not, but they were little chocolate chews that had calcium and some sort of a weight management supplement that I'm sure didn't actually affect me at the age of 6 because I ran most of my food off going from creek to creek and climbing trees. I still actually find time to hang out in the branches and I will from time to time hide near a river front to get away from my children. Not lying, it's true, but it has NOTHING to do with the subject of this blog, so I'll move on.

The bottles contain vitamins and minerals mostly. I'll rattle them off and you can decide for yourself what you think. E-mail me and tell me to stop taking one or the other if you think I don't need it. I've talked to several people and get all sorts of answers - - you're welcome to help me. I do take suggestions.

First there's Vitamin E. 400 units of whatever it is that is being counted. I believe it helps the cells in my skin to rejuvenate and since I like my skin for the most part, I'm sticking to it.

Vitamins B-6 and B-12. Some people get them in a complex I get them separately and take too much of one or the other I'm told, but the concept behind it is to spring your memory into gear, and to give you more energy. I could use both, so I overload. I'm told I'll waste what I don't need, but since I'm rather stupid at times I'm thinking it's the energy portion that will be flushed.

Biotin! Oh, you gotta love Biotin. It strengthens your nails and your hair at the same time. Not joking, this one is a keeper.

Vitamin C...say no more, but I don't swallow this one. I chew it. It's massive, and I've been cold free for years. Besides, it reminds me of my mother screaming at me to get off the house and come down to take my vitamins....so I do.

Cayenne..it kicked me once,but I changed doses and only take it in the morning to boost the metabolism. So far, so good....but I am very careful with this one folks.

5-HTP:(With St. John's Wort) Great mood enhancer. How good? I don't really care..that's how good it is. I'm smiling and I don't do actual drugs, so this pill and several cups of coffee and tea a day should make my face happy. If I don't seem to care what's going on around me most of the time, blame the 5 HTP, not me. I actually would care if I wasn't eating so much licorice; which is also a stress reducer. (Black, not red, that's for wussies)

Omega 3 Fish Oil. Wow..this one is HUGE, let me tell you. They took some fish and squeezed all of his guts out and stuffed the remaining oil into an inch long capsule and put about 1000 of these capsules into a little bottle and sold them for next to nothing. I take it because I was told to. If I don't I'll have to actually eat the fish to get the same joint assistance, and to be honest with you, I'm not really hip on fish..except a certain Pisces man with really cute fins.

Milk Thistle..doesn't that make you laugh? You can't milk a thistle! I'm part Scottish, I know this. You pull them up and whack people with them, but you don't milk one. I think it's for my digestion now that I don't have a gall bladder. I've only taken it about a month and I'm not sure I'm really seeing a difference, but again I was told to. I will listen to a doctor if he/she isn't too out there.

Multi-vitamin: Because.

Hoodia: Because I'm fat and it actually works to stop me from over eating. I do eat. I don't want the world to think I don't. I keep it around 1200-1500 calories a day and I make sure I do the brownies or the ice cream once a day or every other day because I'm not going to binge or kill myself with cravings.

Last but absolutely not least, the chocolate chewable calcium booster! YEAH.....again I suppose because it's what I need, but it does remind me of the years I snuck into Mom's closet and stole them from her. I put mine in a cabinet over the frig so Caity has to make an effort. There's no way I'm just going to hand them to her and say "Here, this is good for you." No, she needs the stealing from her mother effect. She needs the memory. This is a legacy people!

Oh, and I drink 80 ounces of water a day and pee 24/7, but it's all good. LOL Oh, I so totally lied to you. There's nothing to the left of my frig. Look to the right if you want to see the bottles. I don't know what I was thinking.

No comments: